1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Visiting US: Ideas to keep them occupied and enjoy in what they do!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ani123, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have seen couple of threads with more or less same topic.I posted but noone replied...so thought of opening a new thread.

My Parents are visiting this month. I'm so excited and kinda worried how to make their visit pleasant and happy.They were in my bro's place till now (for about 2 months) and my dad is already bored.
    Now here we (me and my DH) both work FT and they r going to stay all by themselves in the day time...have no clue how to get them engaged in activities.
    we are trying to have Indian channels on TV - that might kill may be 2-3 hrs.
    what about rest of the time? 'm not worried about mom as she talks to relatives in India for a while and does some kind of timepass...problem is with my dad.
    I have seen some nice ideas posted by people in other threads but still need some more.
    we have a park close to our apt complex so may be they can go for a walk.
    I'm still not aware of the apt complex well as we moved in recently if they are any Indians.
    How do we get to know Indian people staying in the complex.I think there is one family downstairs just below our apartment who is Indian (saw rangoli before their house :)) but how do I contact them? (I mean to say is it ok to just knock the door and introduce...doesn't it look weird?)
    This is my parents first visit and 'm kinda to make it pleasant.
    Please help!

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

3. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

4. CynthiaG

CynthiaG New IL'ite

I don't care if its an old thread or new... All I know is that visiting relative abroad is very boring as you don't have anything to do whole day. You don't know anybody there, can't talk to your friends back home as it costs a fortune. I visited my sister who is married in Texas and the days when we went out were the best days of my life, but when I was forced to stay home, I wanted to run back home:rotfl

So make sure that you don't leave your parent alone, honey.

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Cynthia,
    For the benefit of the site and others,members are asked to search before startina a thread.You may not care about new/old thread.But we appreciate if members take some time before posting/starting thread.