1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse osmosis water filteration system - is this system gives health water

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by reetha, Aug 4, 2009.

1. reetha

reetha New IL'ite

Anybody ever tried the Reverse osmosis water filteration system? Will it givwe a healthy water? I heard that this system removes all the essential minerals from the water. I s that true. if so which filteration systemis best?
    This one , you can install it below sink and we need to change the filter once a year only.

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

We have this at our home, yes it does remove some of the essential minerals too. Try carbon filters. Here's some info about it.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#2b5589"><td colspan="2">[SIZE=+1]What Contaminants Does Carbon (GAC) Remove?[/SIZE]</td> <td align="right">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">[​IMG]</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#2b5589">
    </td> <td align="right">[​IMG]</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- WHAT DOES IT REMOVE GOES HERE --> Activated carbon filters remove/reduce many volatile organic chemicals (VOC), pesticides and herbicides, as well as chlorine, benzene, trihalomethane (THM) compounds, radon, solvents and hundreds of other man-made chemicals found in tap water. Some activated carbon filters are moderately effective at removing some, but not all, heavy metals. In addition, densely compacted carbon block filters mechanically remove particles down to 0.5 micron, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium, turbidity and particulates. Although some iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide will be removed by these higher quality activated carbon filters, a manganese greensand iron reduction filter is generally preferred to remove these contaminants as the effectiveness of carbon filter against iron and manganese is generally short-lived if the contaminant concentration is high.

Carbon filters are NOT generally successful at removing dissolved inorganic contaminants or metals such as minerals/salts (hardness or scale-causing contaminants), antimony, arsenic, asbestos, barium, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, copper, fluoride, mercury, nickel, nitrates/nitrites, selenium, sulfate, thallium, and certain radio nuclides. Removing these contaminants requires either a reverse osmosis water filter system or a distiller (some can also be removed by KDF-55 or manganese greensand).

GAC does not remove sediment / particulate material very well, so they are often preceded by a sediment filter. Sediment pre-filters also prolong the activate carbon cartridge life by eliminating gross contaminants that would otherwise clog the activated carbon thereby reducing the surface area available for absorption. Carbon block filters are generally better then GAC filters at removing sediment.

-Uma

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Reetha:
    What is the problem with your water in Boston? Your local water dept can give you the annual drinking water report which will show what is and isn't in the water. City water in USA is normally safe but the treatments can make it less palatable. In my home I just use a PUR faucet mount filter and filter my water for cooking and making tea, etc. If you have a particular problem please post and we can find a solution.

RO is normally overkill and expensive here.

4. reetha

reetha New IL'ite

We also have the same RO at home but heard that it removes the essential minerals in the water and so i am worried that if we are drinking a healthy water after paying so much money on Reverse osmosis for installation and the product, we paid around 500 dollars but not sure if this gives the healthy water.

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Tina,

Is this the type you've got installed ?
    PUR 3-Stage Water Filter & Water Purifier Systems

How long does the filter last before we have to change it ? How much does it cost ?

Does it remove added chlorine ; 'cos in our apartment complex, they've added too much of it ! Presently I'm filling water in a vessel by filtering with a thin handkerchief, then boiling it well & bringing to room temperature, before filling into the BRITA pitcher. Tedious job ..:bonk

Thanks.

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Grace:
    I have the verticle white one with the dark blue filter. It makes a huge difference in taste of water...not just chlorine but also the stuff they put in the water to condition it if it is hard. Tea is so much better. If you get multiple packs of the filters it is not very expensive....for me it is about $17 a filter which lasts me (me and the cat) for like 6 months. You cannot run hot water through them though or they are ruined so you have to train family/friends. I filter all my cooking water also. I highly recommend.

To install you just screw off the end part of the faucet (with pliers) and screw on the filter by hand. Keep what you screw off and put on when you move.

7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

That's great Tina ! Will look for it in shops this weekend itself 'cos this repeated filtering, boiling etc. is getting too cumbersome.

Thank you so much. :)

8. bloomworld

bloomworld New IL'ite

RO water purifiers are designed to remove the dissolved chemicals, germs and TDS from water thus making the water pure enough to drink. The water is passed through multiple level of purification process to give pure water."