1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Freezing food.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nitha J, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends;
    I am planning to go for a 3 month vacation to India, leaving behind my hubby:cool:.
    Poor Soul, he is a bad cook:). I was planning to cook a week's food and then write down the recipes for him (or to give the Chitvish recipe link).
    But our dear Tina(Tashidelek) told me that we can freeze food and it stays fresh almost for 2 months.
    Please pour in your suggesions as to what foods can be freezed for long time and is there any special tips to be taken whilst freezing food for longer time:help??
    Please help me out. Waiting for your replies
    :thankyou2:
    - Nitha

1 person likes this.

2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Except rice, I freeze everything. Pancake for Breakfast, Fruits

I cut onions and freeze them. So, I don't need to cut it every time and its a healthy way.

Prepare chappathi and Freeze it. Even chappathi dough will do.

Grind some 10 tomatoes and refrigerate it. So that he doesn't need to cut tomatoes every time.

You can also make stir fry vegetables (sorry. I'm a vegetarian) and freeze it.

Cook beans and chickpie and freeze them. He can use them for dinner.

I'll let you know once I got more ideas.

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

A very BIG thanks Uma, for your tips.
    Special thanks to the onion idea. How long will it stay, if freezed?
    - nitha

4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I normally keep it for 1 month. I cut the onions one day when i get some time and freeze it.

I think you can keep it for 3 months. Also it doesn't loose nutrition value.

You can do one more thing. Get some 10 bottles of juice and stack it in the fridge. He can have it for Breakfast.

My husband doesn't like grocery shopping. So, If he is in a position to manage alone, I will do all these.

You can also freeze burger patties If you are making it at home. Else he can buy it directly from the grocery store.

Sometimes I make Idly and freeze it. I make Idly Upma for snack.

Even you can freeze Bread. I do it. We have 2 loafs in our freezer. Bread will be good for 6 months.

Let me know if you need anything specifically.

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Uma;
    Any suggns on curries? Will dal based curries like sambar sustain long if frozen?
    - Nitha

6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Nitha,
    Instead of freezing sambar, freeze cooked dal. I do it regularly. It saves my time and electricity bill :)

Cut some important, "difficult to cut" veggies and freeze it. So, that your husband won't need to cut veggies every time.

Also, make sure you have all the household items stocked up in the pantry. Because we know what is going to get over and what to buy next week. But Its difficult for them to check all the "Gaali" items and buy it.

Dosa butter might come for 2-3 weeks if you refrigerate it. You can also make pizza dough and freeze it.

I think I covered everything.

Breakfast, Buy a bunch of cereal and stock it up in the pantry (Walgreens have a nice cereal offer next week. So with coupons, you can get it for $1/box). And make around 100 ( :thumbsup ) pancakes and free it. - Its my husband's count. He said he needs at least 100 pancakes if I'm going out of town (2 times a week. 3/serving)

For dinner, you can chappathi's and freeze it

For Lunch, If you freeze Dal, then it would be fine. The only thing is, he need to make some poriyals for side dish.

You can stock up Appalams. So, sometimes he doesn't need to make side dishes when he is in a hurry or tired.

He can buy yogurt. For snack, you can get a jumbo bag of corn in Sam's club or costco. Free it. so, he can have it for snack.

Its all based on my husband's likes and dislikes. So, Change it wherever you want.

7. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nitha,

Uma has given wonderful idea.

Apart from that let me add mine. Let me share what mysister does, than me she use to take long vacation to India almost 3months.

She usually knead the chappathi, pack one by one separated by plastic wrap,so that he can take easily while he wants to fry it on pan.

If suppose he use to have 3-4 for one time, just pack seperated by plastic warp, again pack this all 3-4 chappathi in foil ,then put in one big ziploc....so that it remain fresh even after 3months....i have seen it.

Recently when i went to her house, i saw still packets lying in her freezer,she preapred for me, which was really fresh....you can do like if possible some 30 chappathis in 10 packets....

You can do tomato.thukku, carrot.beans.porriyal pack in small ziploc which comes for 1 time use. i'm damn sure it will be good atleast15days....i did it when i went to India 2 yrs back.

You can prepare karakuzhambhu , no need to freeze it even it stays good in fridge for atleast2 weeks....If he likes mixed rice, you can freeze lemon.rice, tamariand rice, coconut.rice also......

Apart from all this....he is welcome to our home all time:))

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nitha,
    Iam sharing my freezing tips:

I made dosa batter so that he can make dosa & eat with dosapodi(I already made & kept)or chutney(simple ones like peanut).I refrigerated it &came for about 2weeks.

I made Idiyappam...packed in separate ziplocs so that he can just thaw it & use it with some home cooked/store bought gravy.I packed it in such a way that each packet contains the required qty for one-time use.I froze Idli also in a similar manner

Thoran/mezhukkupuratti also I did the same,packed in individual packets so that he can use it for lunch/dinner

You can also make rasam for 1week.Also make moru curry;since its too simple just teach him how to make it.

I bought fish cleaned it & marinated it with the fish fry paste so whenever he had time he could just take the small packets,thaw it & fry it.

I made chicken & fish curry packed in small pyrex containers & froze it.You just need to thaw it properly & use.This is good for 1week.

Cut vegetables...pack it in boxes.Just teach him how to make stir-fry.So he can just make the stirfry & moru curry and a yummy lunch is ready.

Breakfast was always regular cereal/oats..If you have good friends just let them know you will be away so that they can share some curry:)Also you can buy roti/chappati from outside & fix the dinner with simple dhal.

Have a nice vacation:cheers

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Uma your time and wonderful tips!!
    - Nitha

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Usha;
    Special thanks a lot for the Chapati idea!! He is a roti person!! I need to buy the plastic wraps for sure.
    Thanks for the invitation too. Don't be surprised if you see an emaciated man @ your door steps :rotfl
    - Nitha