1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Freezing food.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nitha J, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Indhu;
    I directly MW idli from frezer. I cover it with wet tissue while MWing.
    Yes; you have to ferment it before freezing. That is my guess; never freezed batter.

I also freeze "ada" (of palada payasam); parippu usli mix; channa curry etc. Anything my logic says yes. So far not any "bad incidents".

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Thanks Nitha. Should try the idli trick. Have you ever tried freezing biriyani?

Is freezing curries in Ziploc freezer bags fine? Will the curry get any weird taste?

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

I freeze curries in container. But I do not think it will get any weird taste

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Biriyani not tried. Biriyani never goes more than a day here :)

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi writeme,

I usually pack curries in ziploc,it stays good for3months for sure...i pack like1serving in one small ziploc

6. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

Mainly, I rely on cooked/frozen food. My work is such that, when I get a chance I cook everything and portion size to freeze it. Mainly, South Indian, vegetarian food --

Upma, kichadi, Ven pongal, sakkarai pongal, wheat pongal - breakfast items
    Sambar, rasam, vegetable kurma, vatha kulambu, dhal, keerai masiyal, eggplant masiyal, tomato masiyal - varieties (white radish, drumsticks, chow chow sambar freeze well)

Except potato, all sorts veg of kurma/poriyal works well. Particularity, mushroom or mixed veg kurma with chapatti works well. Sambar (prepared differently for idli) or tomato kurma tastes good with idli/dosa. Usually, I get roti/paratha/idiyappam from frozen variety, if not enough time to run the store.

Veg poriyal - eggplant, okara, bottle gourd, spanich, green beans, bitter gourd, cauliflower, Snake gourd, suran , carrot (shredded), beet root (shredded)

veg rice pulao, bheisbala bath or any rice item freeze very well.

When microwave it, don't reheat it completely. After 60-seconds, take it out of microwave - mix well with a spoon and leave it outside (10 min) and re-heat for another 30 seconds (for 1-2 person size).

It is healthy and tastes better than any take out food (cheaper). I cook only once or twice in every 6-weeks.

I never tried frozen idli (make idli upma from left over, more in demand). In case of travel, I put fermented idli batter in the freezer. After defrosting idly maavu in the fridge, uttamppam comes good. Frozen Chutney doesn't taste good...always make it fresh.

Example, 1.5 cups of toor dhal makes sambar/rasam up to 6-8 servings for 2 people. Grind for idli every week, trade mark of south Indian food (6-cups of rice)....start with idly, dosa and then, it becomes paniyaram... when the batter gets older, it is more in demand.

3 people like this.
  7. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Thanks all! I usually use pyrex or glass boxes, but to store a lot of items in freezer, i'll have a spend a bit to buy so many pyrex containers. So ziploc will be the cost effective work around!

I have never thought of freezing food and these posts here inspires me a lot! Thanks again for the great ideas dear ones.

1 person likes this.
  8. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Usha, do you thaw the curries in fridge for few hours before using or do you take it out directly from the freezer and microwave? Can ziploc bags be used in microwave? Their website says yes, but have you tried?

9. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Writeme,

Hey i should ask myhubby this question because he is best person to answer this question:)))))my job is to cook and freeze it in ziploc...pack my luggage and catch India flight...its he who heat and eat....

Jokes apart...no dear its always best to transfer the receipe to any microwave container and heat it...not sure if ziploc can withstand that heat....we can heat it immediately after taking out the receipe from freezer.

If i'm in U.S usually i cook and use it on same day if any leftout then store the dish inthe fridge for 2-3days thats it, never freeze it ...during my India trip or mysister's place(virginia)trip i cook and freeze the dish for myhubby...i have stored 15days to 3months...it stays good.

10. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

@freddycat.. Well written. You've really taken some time to explain the details. Thanks!

@Usha.. I'm planning a vacation soon; so thought will cook and freeze food for the lonely soul ;-) But he says its easier for him to cook than to dig food from freezer pile, thaw and microwave :)

1 person likes this.