1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Selling used gold jewellery

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by starshine, Jun 10, 2009.

1. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Hello IL's,

I wanted to know if is it possible to sell some used gold jewellery.
    Do any american jewellery stores buy used gold? How about the Indian shops..do they buy used gold too?

It would be really helpful if IL's could share their experiences or if you have suggestions for selling used gold.

Thanks !

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

i think american pawn shops do buy used gold and silver jewellery and also smallscraps....they also buysome watches etc..might be you can look around in your localcommunity stores......i didnt see any indian gold storesbuying used jewellery...

i saw these american ads on TV saying they buy used gold n silver jwellery thatshow i came to know..however i dont suggest selling as it always results in loss

3. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Thanks SriVidya75,

I will try to checkout and see if there are any good ones nearby.

4. realdeal

realdeal New IL'ite

If I were you I would be really careful doing that. If possible sell it when you go back to India. They will hardly give you anything for your gold. It seems more like a scam to me. If it is an emergency then try to sell it at an Indian jewelry store.
    Well, good luck.

5. sainirav

sainirav New IL'ite

At Glendale mall in L.A i did see a shop in which was written, CASH for GOLD.. I dont know the authenticity of the shop.

6. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Thanks everybody for your suggestions !!

I shall drop the plan of selling it here.I will wait until I make a trip to India.

7. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

You can ask in indian goldstores, they usually say they will reduce 3% of gold rate, but i am not sure if they will give u cash or is it only exchange.

8. Susila

Susila New IL'ite

Starshine,

I remember my uncle telling us that he sold a gold chain in one of the Indian jewellery store in Edison, NJ and that he got the price of gold as on that day. Hope this helps.

Susi

9. Emal

Emal Senior IL'ite

Hi Sushila,

Won't there be a depreciation for jewelry ? Could you please expalin further how did your uncle get the new gold price or the current market gold price for used jewelry?
    They deduct some percentage on losses since there are other metals inlcuded when making a jewelry other than gold to make it stable.

Thanks