1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

how safe are Indian students in abroad?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Anu65, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Anu65

Anu65 New IL'ite

hi friends,i want to ask you that,how safe are Indian students in abroad? I think you people have seen the harassment made by Australian to a Indian student :eek:mg:! that is so panic.

2. manohar24

manohar24 New IL'ite

Its very Disturbing and Distressing to know about the recent attacks on Indian students in Australia, for Instance in Adelaide five Indian students were set upon and were cornered and bashed and robbed when they called 000 which is Emergency Number As 911 in U.S the Police took more than 40 Minutes to respond and that too they are located next street and In a second instance two students after finishing their University they were retuning home late up to 25 youth aged around 16 to 19 cornered them abused them with knife and beat them and robbed their valuable such as Wallet and Mobile Phone and in another incident a Indian student waiting for train on his way to university was approached by five men they asked him if he was an Indian and as he replied the Obvious he was bashed ruthlessly its shocking that what kind of parents these kids might have, No responsibility wandering on the streets as wolves making trouble what kind of parent they would be to leave their kids on Drugs and alcohol and Abuse what is the law doing, who is responsible, its so sad a Indian who Dreams and comes to Australia thinking this would change his life in a better way, gives him status A Job and respect back home His life will be ruined and it will take long time to recover out of this, its very common here you read and you hear things you don’t want to it is sad but it is true so friends, I hope we don’t hear these kind of News but as I said who is responsible the parents here or the Kids, Make your own Decision.ndian Student Taxi Driver Stabbed In Melbourne
    A 23-year-old Indian student, who was also working as a taxi driver, was found on Tuesday stabbed outside a hotel in the Clifton Hill suburb of Melbourne, the police said.

"He is an Indian student but we won't be releasing his name because none of his family is in Australia. He is now in a stable condition at the Royal Melbourne Hospital," a Victoria Police spokesperson told IANS.

The Indian student driver was found in a critical condition just before 6 am on Tuesday, covered in blood with multiple stab wounds to the upper body. He was lying out in the freezing cold, about 500 metres from the taxi which had been smashed into a power pole.

Detective Senior Constable Brendan Smith told reporters that the police had found the abandoned crashed taxi at about 3 am but could not immediately find the driver.

"We'd say that he's received stab wounds... and we're receiving regular updates from the hospital as to his condition. We're still unclear as to what's happened in the taxi, but for a man to receive stab wounds and end up in a critical condition in hospital is obviously a very vicious attack and if completely unprovoked is very, very concerning," Smith said.

The police believe he may have been attacked by a passenger. They are appealing for witnesses to come forward with any information and are examining the CCTV cameras in the area for clues to the attack. A backpack was found on the footpath nearby.Think Twice Before Coming to Melbourne this is a Rogue Nation and Racist Country, your Dreams will be Shattered

3. manohar24

manohar24 New IL'ite

Indian student beaten up and robbed in Australia,1500 Cases registered of Assault and Bashings and Abuse, Don't know How Many Cases Not Reported, What the is Indian Embassy or the Government is Doing.

Melbourne, May 11: An Indian student was beaten up and robbed by a group of teenagers in a moving train here, media report said on Monday.

Sourabh Sharma, 21, who came to Australia a year ago to study hospitality, was brutally bashed when six thugs confronted him in the train.

"They asked me for cigarettes. I said I had none, then they said, 'Why the f--- did you come here?' then they were saying 'Kiss my foot' and started kicking me and punching me," he was quoted as saying in the report.

"I was crying out for help but nobody would help me. They punched me in the teeth and kept kicking me. I said take my watch, take my wallet, but there were five or six of them and they kept just beating me," Sourabh said.

He said the gang, all aged about 16, then jumped off at a western suburb station.

Sharma was left bleeding with fractured cheek bone and shattered teeth. He was taken to a hospital.

The attack follows a growing number of assaults on Indian students, particularly in the western suburbs

4. manohar24

manohar24 New IL'ite

What is Indian Government Doing or the Consulate Here Doing Once Again Four students from Andhra Pradesh were injured after they were allegedly assaulted in their homes by a couple of teenagers, in the latest attack against Indians studying in Australia.

The culprits were reportedly arrested while the victims, one in serious condition, were admitted in hospital, Federation of Indian Students Association founder Gautum Gupta said, adding one of the attackers has been charged with attempt to murder.

A Victoria police spokesperson said, “The incident involved offenders gate-crashing a party and the victims happened to be Indian.”

The Government of Australia should take some action as our leaders and Ministers are least worried about the state of our gullible students who are vulnerable and easy targets

5. manohar24

manohar24 New IL'ite

Excerpts from Deccan Chronicle May 27: Shravan Kumar, a student from Andhra Pradesh who was bashed up by two Australian youths two days ago, is in a critical condition at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. The Chief Minister, Dr Y.S. Rajasekhar Reddy, who is in Israel, condemned the attack and requested the Australian government to provide better medical facilities to the victim.

Doctors at the Melbourne hospital said that Shravan Kumar’s medulla oblongata (lower part of the brain) was damaged in the beating. There was excessive bleeding which was brought under control, they said. Shravan Kumar, who is pursuing his diploma in automobile engineering from the Cambridge International College at Melbourne, hails from Mucharal village in Khammam District.

His uncle, Dr Srinivasa Rao, said his father, Mr Chidambara Rao, a farmer, are planning to leave for Melbourne soon. “We will meet finance minister and other senior officials on Thursday and seek help from the government,” said Dr Srinivasa Rao. Shravan was one of the four students from India who were assaulted by a group of teenagers two days ago. The assailants were drunk and attacked the students with a screwdriver.

“Doctors are still unsure if he will survive and if he does, he may lose his vision or memory,” said his friend, Srinivas Gandhi. He added that violent attacks on Indian students had been increasing in the last few years in Australia.

6. manohar24

manohar24 New IL'ite

An Indian community leader has claimed that over 20 incidents of "curry bashing" have taken place in Sydney in the past 30 days, and said there is an urgent need to address the issue as most students are reluctant to lodge any complaint out of fear.

Yadu Singh, the head of a committee that has been formed to address concerns about the welfare of Indian students in Australia, also revealed that more than 100 attacks on Indian youths were feared to have taken place in the last 12 months.

Singh, a Sydney-based cardiologist, said the attacks had grown over the last four years and there was an urgent need to address the issue. "There is a term 'curry bashing' for such incidents... and it is used as 'lets go curry bashing'."

"They (the attacks) are not random at all, the people are targeting them. They know these students are easy targets," Singh said.

Indian students often become victims because they travel home late at night, alone, after working to support their studies, he pointed out, adding that they were also not reporting the incidents to police.

Many students were afraid that lodging any sort of formal police report would harm their chances of permanent residency.

"So they will suffer the humiliation and the insult ... and the criminals think 'We are pretty safe robbing them and nothing will happen'," Singh said.

Referring to the petrol bomb attack on 25-year-old hospitality graduate Rajesh Kumar, who received 30 per cent burns, Singh said "it is a clear case of racial attack as there is no other angle we can apply to this attack."

"Melbourne has a bigger problem, but if we don't do something it will be repeated in Sydney," said Singh. He sought more intensive undercover police effort to capture the offenders. Excerpts From Samachar In yet another incident targeting Indian students in Australia, a car belonging to a youth from the community has been torched here, even as police ruled out any racial motive behind it.

22-year-old Vikrant Rajesh Ratan, who had used all his savings to buy the car, said the vehicle was burnt last night. He said that two other cars, also belonging to Indians, that were parked next to his vehicle, were also damaged during the incident.

"We were sleeping when it all happened. We heard the fire alarm of the car. When we went out to see what happened we saw the cars on fire," Ratan told PTI.

He said that it could have been done by a group of drug addicts who used to sit near the premises. "I believe they (addicts) probably first tried to open the car. Then they may have used a petrol can to set it ablaze."

Ratan, originally from Ludhiana who came here a month ago to pursue a certificate course in Automotive Engineering, said that there was no chance of a short circuit that could have burnt the car in this cold weather.

He said he had bought the vehicle a few days ago for 2500 dollars and now he was left with no money. The car was not even insured