1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

decent swim wears??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nitjoe, Apr 21, 2009.

1. nitjoe

nitjoe New IL'ite

hi IL's

since summer is approaching and my apmt is opening up their pool by may i would like to buy a swim wear for the same..i tried few stores like target n sears but i am unable to find a decent swim wear:( can u pl suggest whre to buy these kind of swim wears?? i would really appreciate it..thanks in advance

2. mom2gurls

mom2gurls New IL'ite

Did you check the deparment stores like macys? Jcpennys from what I hear as a large selection and all different styles.

I never can find what I like. I have heard that one pieces are back in style now..and I am looking for a plain, sporty blank tankini or one piece in black.

LOL

3. nitjoe

nitjoe New IL'ite

hey thanks a lot for ur reply
    i shall try jc penny ..hope something works out..i now feel i could hv bought 1 frm india:(

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

This is what I do - I buy a pair of men's swim pants in my size since they generally cover atleast till mid-thighs. Then I buy a ladies top/tankini swimsuit to go with the swim pants. and being the conservative overweight woman that I am, cover that up with a net shirt that I found at kohls - the net shirt is meant to wear over swim wear specifically.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Nitjoe

I'm shy and like modest swimwear too. I love the bathing suits from LL Bean:

Swimwear: Women's at L.L.Bean

They're quite pricey but well worth it. The link above is to their sale swimwear items. I have their jogger skort, the tankini top, and skirted bottom. These items have really liberated me, especially on holiday, when you may not always be able to reach for a towel and cover up the nanosecond you get out of the water. I went snorkelling in the tankini and skirted bottom and felt very comfortable.

Their swimdress looks really good if you want to cover up even more. I recommend these items very highly.

Hope this solves your problem - swimming is great fun and good for you too!

1 person likes this.
  6. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

You get nice mix match swim wear in sports authority. You get shorts for ladies. ( they cover your thighs) and you get full sleeve or half sleeved swim t shirts. together it would cost you around 60 bucks. They last long and the best thing about them is you can wear them without any problem even in outdoor swim pools.They protect you from Uv rays too.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I too don't like the one-pieces we egt here. Last summer I got a two-piece which has a swim top and a swim skirt from Costco. I have seen similar models in JC Penny etc.

If you search for "modest swimwear" or "Islamic swimwear" online you can find sites that sell knee length or even full-body covered conservative swimsuits. I haven't tried buying so I don't know how reliable the sites are.

Another option is for you to get a wetsuit - they come until the thigh or even knee length. I am contemplating getting one this summer. You should get these in sporting good stores like Dicks or Sports Authority (I have seen one at Costco too).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

These ideas are great to hear. I got a full swim suit from India thinking only bikini type or one pieces are available here.

9. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

After a lot of internet research, browsing stores, and swimwear trials, I finally put together my swimwear last week. I bought a pair of tight-fitting knee-length shorts from Target and the only tankini that I could find in my size in Kohls (thankfully the colors matched). Of course, I had to buy the shorts from the Girl's section of the store. It looks something like this:

Girls' C9 by Champion® KneeTight - Ebony/White : Target

I tested my outfit the same day I bought it, and I'm looking forward to many hours in the pool this summer!

10. maggie123

maggie123 New IL'ite

I am in the US. As summer is out, I am heading to lot of beaches and water parks, and also take a dip or two every week at the pool in my apartment complex. I use a two piece bikini. Most of the time, some guys also would be around, but here flaunting a bikini bod is not a big deal.

I guess we Indian women still have a long way to go in exposing our bodies like these westerners do. I am not talking about extremes like skinny dipping or stripping to nothing in a nude beach. Here in US, apart from women taking pride in exposing their great bodies (huh....i have seen some fat women in bikini as well...guess no one really cares), it is about a matter of what is more comfortable for the water activity. Sometimes it is pathetic to see our Indian women in beaches, pools and water parks enjoying the water activity with a 3/4th covered clothing that does not seem to fit the location/occasion. They look apparently the odd ones out. Not sure what the outsiders will thin of them. The same applies to our India guys as well. Somehow I am happy in a way that my DH gives me company by taking off his shirt and wearing a board short. We wouldn't go to a marriage/temple in a bikini, right? But why are we not having that consciousness for this water activity? I guess when compared to India, here we can enjoy the luxuries of items like Bikini which we might never wear in an Indian beach. To me in addition to the comfort in swimming, it has given a good feeling to realize that I am in a place doing something that no one bothers about, which would have almost been a taboo back home.

This is a broader topic but I guess for now, I have to close on saying that finally it all matters on what you are comfortable with. But if you are having a good or average body try a V-cut swimsuit. It completely exposes thighs from the groin but gives greater movement in swimming.

I shopped for my swimwear in VS. I found some decent ones in BJ's as well. It has the v-cut swimwear with a covering skirt. But they padded the breast area for some reason.