1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to India - Things to think about?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by yasoda, Feb 27, 2007.

1. yasoda

yasoda New IL'ite

Hi,

I registered today .We live in Longmont Co.USA.I have two children daughter 12 year old and son 9years.We were in us for past 7years .
    We were always thinking of going back to India.Can anybody interested in sharing things like -what to consider when going back ,childrens education ,what other problems .I am very positive in going back but my husband is scared.Please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

2. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Re: Going back to India

Hey Yasoda

its great that ur going back to ur country, ur home... i really feels great isnt it ?

its been only 2 months i'm here in US... but i dream of going back to india everyday

i'm very newly married, i dont think i can be any help to u in suggesting anything...

but i'm really happy for you

All the best wishes to u
    ~Abha

3. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Yasodha,

I am also going back to India after 12 yrs here in US. I live in CT. We are planning
    to go back in April of this year. Hardly few more weeks. We are moving back to Chennai. I have registered my kids in school already.
    There are certain things that you have to consider, when going back.

1. decide on the place you would like to settle
    2. school for the children, this is most important because your kids are older it might take them some time to get adjusted. My kids are 10 and 6.
    3. Place to live
    4. ofcourse job security above all...which is not a problem these days.

there are a lot of people going back to India these days. I have a few friends who have already done this and they are all pretty happy about their decision.
    Are you all US citizens. If you are then you might want to consider gettting OCI from Indian consulate.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore info. happy to help as much as I can.

Check this website. It is a return to India forum where many people like us share their ideas and views on R2I. .R2ICLUB - For successful return to India

4. yasoda

yasoda New IL'ite

Hi jothi,

Thank you for sharing your information.I have two more doubts .1.Here kids will be studying one grade less when compared with India.Then
    when you go back what grade you are putting them in?
    2.If it is o.k for you, can you share the information of how much
    fees you are paying for them is it special for NRI s.
    We dont even have green card .We applied in 2004 .It seems to take toomuch time .Our labor is not done yet.

--Yasoda

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  5. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Yasodha,

My son is studying in the 5th grade now. He will go to 6th when we go back. He is exactly at the grade where he should be. I have a friend whose daughter was born on the same year as my son and she is in 5th std now in India.

The fees is not much differerent for NRI kids. If you dont have GC then you are not NRIs..you are still citizens, but it does not matter cause the fees does not differ. I have registered them in Billabong in Chennai. I had to pay 17,000 rs as registration for 2 kids.

Have you decided on the city where you will be going?

Jothi.

6. sofiya

sofiya New IL'ite

Hi All,

It waz gr8 to come across this thread. Though I don't have any suggestions or advice for anyone, but its just that me and my husband are also moving back to India for good. My husband has been in the US for the past 6 yrs and I just came here after getting married 8 months back. My husband had always planned to move back to India sooner or later and though it is a very tough decision, after a lot of thinking and evaluation we have now finally decided that it is time to take that step. We are planning to settle down in Mumbai and start something of our own eventually.

May 10th is gonna be our last day in USA. Just hoping and praying that things go well.

All the best to all who are planning to move back to India and may all have a gr8 life ahead!

3 people like this.
  7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Moving to India Once for all

This is for a friend of mine. She and her husband wish to move back to India in 5 years. So what are the big aspects she should be looking at right now.
    I know it s a strange question, but I feel many of us have such plans like someday I ll go back to India for good. What are the things one should consider. For example one of it would be to make themselves financially stable like to finish of the mortgage on their houses or something personal like better career choices or to take care of aging parents or simply becasue they dont like US.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Moving to India Once for all

hi Vidya,

RETURN TO INDIA....is a big step wherever you are. if you have kids, who have got used to a particular place it is more challenging...

but the reasons for the move...should be more convincing to the person,otherwise the person is going to find faults with everything....

i think we could ask malathy for a sub forum in indian thread..where there are already r2i or future r2i..so they can discuss those issues...

9. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

It is nice to know that your friends are planning to come back to India.

5 years is still a long time, and the way the economies are changing it is very difficult to predict now.

- So far what i have seen in people who want to come back, firstly it has to be a mutual decision by the couple. If one of them is hesitant then it will be very difficult for them to adjust. There being alone, they have all the freedom to lead their lives as they want...but after coming here you also have to think about other family members also you need to conduct yourself in some manner befitting the Indian society.

- Come back before the child is over 5 yrs...otherwise they find it difficult to adjust here.

- once one decides to come back, it has to be an honoured decision. After coming here don't start comparisons...otherwise you will never be happy...accept all the good and bad aspects as they come.

You can check this link...reverse culture shock.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Arch.../navigator.asp?login=default&AW=1196147972968

There is more to write but will end here.

Roopa.

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the pointer Shanvy and
    thanks for the link roopa