1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

coconut scraper

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ESTI, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ESTI

ESTI New IL'ite

Hi, I have been looking for a good coconut scraper for some time and have been frustrated with the lack of such a gadget in the market. I went to William Sonomo and all they had was a had held grater. I subsequently found some useful suggestions from this forum on which one to buy - albeit all made in India (manual and electric). A friend of mine told me that he could redisgn some of the models shown here to make them for North America if there was sufficient interest from the market. What do you think? Would any of you be interested in an easier to use coconut scraper for home use? Would you like to have an electric version for North America?

If yes, my friend would be willing to invest some time, money and effort to get us something that may be quite useful.

2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi esti,

i recently bought a manual coconut scrapper from the famous devon ave costing 12 $ which lasted only for few days, the metal attchment which scrapes the coconut came off.

the demand for the elctric scrapper depends on the price if it will be lesser or equal to the manual (initially) then it will have a demand. but as such its a good idea to convert the scrapper from manual to electric.

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I won`t use the coconut scrapper. I cut the coconut with knife into small pieces and put in the mixie coarsely. I store it in the freezer.

4. yvsaisunder

yvsaisunder New IL'ite

Was anyone able to find an electric coconut scraper yet. The problem with grinding it in a mixer is that the black/brown hard out layer of the coconut gets mixed in the final product. With a scraper, this is avoided and the final product is softer and tastier.

5. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I have something like this. It attaches to the countertop and does a very good job whenever I get a full coconut. I don't use it often because I buy desicated and frozen.
    [​IMG]

I have seen a few of my friends use this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi DNM,

thanx for sharing the pictures and product info. it is really helpful.

7. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

i did bring one with me when i was coming to US.same like the one in this snap.

It was easy and still works after 2 years but i changed and became a lazy homemaker.:biggrin2:

i tried a couple of frozen grated coconut brands and found out one which is as tasty as the freshly grated.
    Try the frozen one,you will have to bang the packet on the counter top to break off into small pieces for each time you need and defrost it for a min in microwave and you will get the one as fresh as the grated one.Try it !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I think daily delight is the best brand if you consider fresh frozen coconut.

Attached Files:

9. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

what ever be the brand what i felt was, after opening if u r keeping the packet for more than a week the smell itself is bad.

10. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

I had got the manual scrapper from India like the one DNM mentioned.It is hard for me to do it.So I switched to Deep brandfrozen coconut.It is goodin taste.One packet will last for 1week.I do not store beyond that.