1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Foldable cot for apartments in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I am looking on internet for foldable cot, which I ll need when my parents visit. A lot of friends here suggested hiding bed cum sofa. We do not have place to accommodate it in our apartment. We already have sofa and lot of other furniture.

I found some camping cots and I don't know how sturdy they will be. They look very delicate to me.

So does anyone here have suggestions foe sleeping arrangements for old parents ? My mother was operated with hernia and she cannot sleep on the floor with just comforters. Hence I need some suggestion.

2. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi MeenLoch,

I had seen foldable beds in KMart sometime back, not sure how sturdy they are though. You can check them in your local stores.
    Also a suggestion, why don't you guys switch beds, like you can give your bed to your parents when they are here right?

Regards,
    Sihi

3. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Inflatable air beds could be a option. But depending on the height you may need a frame

4. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

Hi, In walmart, you can find futon beds which is very strong and you can get them in metal and wood...it costs you 90$ ...or you can find in craiglist for 45$...

they are very good for apartment..

Skavi

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Sihi,
    I ll check at Kmart.
    I am carrying now. So we may do that if nothing else works out, i mean swtching beds..Thanks for suggestion however.

Rithi,
    Airbeds are good, but like you said frame is an issue. Wish they had cots like in India. Do you remember those Nylon taped cots ?

Skavi,
    I checked in Walamrt's website. Can you actually fold these ? It looks like a bunk bed.

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I got one inflated bed when my parents were here and it got a hole soon ,had to throw that away.

Futon beds would be a best option.Try in walmart.Yes you can fold them and make it look like a sofa/bed.

You can also buy some sturdy frame from craigslist (if any one is selling) and just get a new mattress too.

Do you have Ikea in your area?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can use futon beds. They are very thick . and foldable. Dont ever buy those air beds. Its a total waste .
    We had such an airbed and within one night it got holes.
    had to throw away.

For the frames. You can try craigslist. But make sure u visit and inspect the item before buying. I got a frame once with broken legs.

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Inflatable beds - I had a bad experience too. Only the very good quality air beds survive.

I do have Ikea here. Any IKEA cot that you have in mind ? I saw their website. I didnt know what to look fro. Are you suggesting Futon beds from IKEA ?

I ll keep futon beds in mind. Thanks for the suggestion. Everybody here seems to have liked it.

Frames in Craigslist. I ll chk this one too.

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

10. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite