1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What are the things you usually buy in India on your vacation and get it back to USA?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Feb 9, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

everytime coming down to India for a vacation and then
    buying useless stuff..

this time i do not want to miss out.i packed on sambhar powder,
    got a new mixer and brouht few salwar kameez..
    what do u guys usually get from India back to USA?do not want to miss
    important stuff and pack on useless stuff..

2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Re: What are the things you usually buy in India on your vacation and get it back to

kolhapuri chappal?

2 people like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Re: What are the things you usually buy in India on your vacation and get it back to

I stock up on cotton tops to wear in summer, from Anokhi and Fab India. Anokhi is expensive but great quality. I also usually get some quilts or embroidered fabrics for the house. And some handicrafts to give as gifts for friends' birthdays and Christmas.
    I don't wear gold so I pick up some silver jewelry.
    Grand Sweets in Chennai is a compulsory stop. I get some 'bakshanams' but I love their powders and pastes. And I stock up on Everest masalas. Sometimes I will get some interesting cooking utensils, but my mom discourages this as she says I have way too much kitchen stuff already. I also love going to the bookstore and getting the latest Indian cookbooks.

1 person likes this.
  4. workhard

workhard Senior IL'ite

- all kinds of ethnic wear
    - imp books / documents papers - hard or their soft copies
    - Kitchen stuff
    - cosmetic stuff which we are irreplaceable
    - traditional imitation jewellery which we can't get in usa, ear rings / toe rings etc

1 person likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I don't bring food from India - it's too much of a hassle with Customs, plus we get everything here.

I've mostly brought clothes (salwar kameez), leather purses/jackets/footwear, jewelry.

On one trip I brought thalis, katoris, etc.

Also movies and music.

1 person likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

i thought cosmetic stuff USA is better?

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I usually donkey load myself and later I see everything dumped in corners or bags for year untouched..
    I bring 1-2 indian wears .. I never wear here, mostly because of weight changes and weather. I buy in india to wear at my ILs .

Many times my mom will give 1-2 bedsheets, or buys pressure cooker .
    my MIL packs pickles but I do not prefer for leaking, customs , extra pay for baggage all kind of risks.

1 person likes this.
  8. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Homemade masalas, ethnic wears (leggings, kameez, kurtis, sarees, etc) imitation jewllery, steel cooking pots, plates, etc. herbal facepacks, hairwash (shikakai), homeopathic medicines, ayurvedic medicines, kadhas, cotton bedsheets, religious/pooja items, some literature like magazines, storybooks in my mother-tongue, CDs, Scanned photos from childhood (that's a must!)

dc24, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  9. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

For me and my household, following things are must. I listed them according to their importance and priority
    1. Important documents- either soft copies or hardcopies
    2. homeopathic medicines,
    3. ayurvedic medicines, kadhas
    4. Bach flower remedies
    5. Homemade masalas, Haldi, Red chilli powder (my mom makes huge quantity both for me and sis. I just can not get the good taste in my food without the touch of my mom's carefully selected spices. I am forever grateful to her. and now i am missing her :(
    6. stainless steel utensils/ cooking pots- i try to get dual purpose good quality stainless steel, which I can use for cooking and storing food
    7. religious/pooja items
    8. Kalnirnay
    9. La opala cup and saucer set ( of 6)
    10. Ready stitched blouses for saries
    11. Cotton kurties, pajamas, chudidars etc ( only if i have some space left. Else, mom and my sis always keep buying new clothes for me and i have to overpack and pay extra for added weight. I dont like to say no, otherwise they courier everything from India to here). So essentially, I start packing with priority items first and then weigh other stuff to see how much i can bring with me. Always remember to carry your doctor's prescription for any medicines are you carrying with you. Hope it helps!

dc24, gankita and anika987 like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thank you.I heard "daily wear" utensils are so good and it can be used for many years without wearing out