1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need information about pre clearance in Airports.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by harinideep, Jun 27, 2015.

1. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Hi , I booked flight tickets from Bangalore to Austin

Bangalore - abudhabi - Chicago - Austin

At abudhabi - connection time is 3.5 hours . I came to know that preclearance facilities are there at abudhabi and immigration procedures would happen there

My questions are
    1. Will 3.5 hours be enough for all the procedures ( with a one year old in hand)
    2. Will we have to go thro customs check of checkin luggage at abudhabi itself
    3. Is pre clearance an option or mandatory . I have 5 and half hours of waiting time at Chicago .. can I do all procedures there?

If anyone has done this , can you please tell me procedures

2. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

harinideep,

My information is not first hand but from family who made the trip recently. You are most probably travelling by Etihad Airways.

1. 3.5 Hours should be enough of a layover for all the formalities.
    2. The Customs check does happen in Abu Dhabi but behind the scene. Meaning you will not be involved (unless they have a reason to question the traveler).
    3. Pre-clearance is not an option. Just note, they cannot leave it as an option to the traveler since in US the flight is treated as domestic and your luggage would also come up on a domestic carousal.

Other than this, there is a procedure at Abu Dhabi where they do not process the passengers until their luggage has come through (in your case B'lore to Abu Dhabi). Which makes sense because they will probably process the luggage first (not in your presence) before allowing the passengers through.

If your ticket has been booked as one seamless trip, B'lore--> Abu Dhabi --> Chicago --> Austin then your luggage pick up point will be Austin, TX.

I would ask you to not worry about the time as they normally do need to process all of the passengers before the flight can leave. Also make use of the pre-boarding options given to passengers with small children, where possible.

1 person likes this.
  3. menuvenki

menuvenki Silver IL'ite

Good and perfect information @RPVAIL.