1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with your house in India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by dimhere, May 27, 2015.

1. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Hello All,

My family and I, all of us recently moved to the US, after more than a decade of married life in India.

In India, we lived in a spacious house with all appliances, gadgets, and by God's grace, were well off. Now we don't know how long we are going to stay here in US.
    My DH did not want to rent it before we left because 1. we need to have a back up option 2. Selling and buying of all things in the house is a hassle, and will be expensive, if we have to go back.

My question is, what did you guys do? Right now, my IL's have a set of keys, and it is being used as a general free-for-all lodge by IL's relatives visiting my city. People who never visited my place in years of my marriage, now suddenly see free lodging, an equipped kitchen, and are staying for varying periods of time. I see Watsapp pics of my house being (ab)used, and am helpless....

I have locked up my personal wardrobes, and belongings and other things sentimental, and cleaned out the pantry, but the beds, rooms, car, children's things and gadgets are all out in the open. In fact, people have started hinting at taking stuff away. From sandwich maker to car!

Is there anything I can do at all, or have to make peace with the situation?

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

OP, Good that you opened up but do this with your In Laws..

There is a huge difference between use and abuse.. 'Use" is needed to keep your house in good order when you return.. The border between use and abuse being very thin, it is better to draw the line before you loose anything.. Act fast... Sweetly and Firmly say NO to the idea of letting everyone use your house. Be very selective, if needed. Ask your In laws to occasionally stay there to keep things in order...
    If you find it difficult to talk then ask your husband to do so.

Regards,

Pavithra

sindmani and dimhere like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

We locked up our home and car is downstairs in garage. In my last visit we cleaned up the house , servicethe car and came back .our family Helps clean up the house if they get time but it is difficult as we are in different state.

We did not want to rent it out but due to no one in the house for months together , the house is getting spoiled without maintenance .i would have liked someone to come and visit once in a while but I do understand that not all will be taking good care of the house when they are there.

try and see if you can have your inlaws go there along with any relatives if required. Let your husband express concern that house is getting misused an be careful who are given permission to use the house.

but overall it is good that someone visits , so that house cleaned instead of getting filled with dust .

2 people like this.