1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Learning Swimming in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by swiss, Feb 15, 2015.

1. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hi All

I have always wanted to learn swimming.. But I am not so confident of starting learning now.. I am 30 and about 25 pounds overweight. I want to reduce some pounds and get active.. Also learning swimming has always been a dream for me..

Another mental block for me is the swim wear.. I always dress modestly and I am not so confident in trying out the swim gear I have seen in most of the stores here.. Do you have any suggestions?

Has anyone here succeeded in learning swimming as an adult? Could you please share your experience with me?

Thank You
    Swiss

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I swim at the local Y now, and used the pool at the gym while I was in school. It's a great way to get some exercise. I have swum since childhood, so I didn't need lessons but they have them for all age groups.
    You can get a one-piece or tankini which is modest. I like the Lands End swimsuits sold at Sears. They have good coverage. You can also get a cover up.
    Don't be self conscious. You will see people of all shapes and sizes at the pool, and no one gives a second glance.

3. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hi malstrom

Thanks much for your positive reply.. And the swimwear suggestions.. I will check it out for sure.. Also when we register is is better to go for private swimming lessons or normal ones are fine? Any idea how many classes we will approximately need??

4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

@swiss
    I learnt swimming when I was 28 and was feeling really shy. But then i saw a 60 year old lady who was swimming and playing with her grand children. That gave me confidence in learning. Don't think age as barrier.
    It's fun v way to lose weight and you get all fully covered swim suits even online.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I learned in primary school, so it was quick. My friends who learned as adults all took group classes and it was fine. The classes were over several weeks, but they ask you to practice on your own in between in the learners pool so it can be faster. Have fun!

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I am trying to learn swimming also and I'm almost 40 :)

And I don't wear swimwear.Just wear sports cloths.I can swim now to some extent but still can't do long laps.Trying to work on it this summer.

All the best.There is no strict rule for anything.Find some comfort cloths in sports wear and you will be fine and you can learn swimming also.Just need a will power.

I love water too.

7. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Thank u @blackbeauty84 @malstrom @priya16 for your words. I am definitely signing up for classes this spring.. Hope it works out.. :)