1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Living in Detroit

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by GomathiNandha, Dec 18, 2014.

1. GomathiNandha

GomathiNandha New IL'ite

Hi All,

My husband has got his H1 and he would be moving to Detroit by end of Feb 2015. Me and my son would join him by end of April 2015 (after the school gets over as H4 dependants).I need your valuable suggestions.

1. I'm currently working and i would resign by end of February 2015. Is it possible to WFH or find a job with H4 status.
    2. My son is into Senior KG now and he has to be enrolled for grade 1? How is the schooling at Detroit and what would be the average cost?
    3. Is it possible to manage with one salary and what would be the average cost of living?

Awaiting for your valuable responses!

Best Regards,
    Gomathi

2. GomathiNandha

GomathiNandha New IL'ite

I have 7+ years of experience in Recruitment and HR Operations. Do you i need to do something (learn new things / do a course meantime in India) to equip myself to get a job in US.

3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

1. It's illegal to work on H4 status. You cannot work here or find companies to sponsor you for a job.

2. I have no idea about the quality of schooling in Detroit.

3. Yes, its possible to manage with one salary ( I am assuming your husband is into IT). AFAIK Detroit is not an expensive city to live in.

4. poornimakv

poornimakv New IL'ite

Hi butterflyice,

I would be travelling to buffalo grove along with my son in another 2 months. I am sailing in the same boat as Gomathi. Please tell me how is the cost of living in Buffalo Grove. Will it be possible to manage and do a little bit of saving with one salary. Also please let me know good indian grocery stores around :)

5. GomathiNandha

GomathiNandha New IL'ite

Hey butterflyice,

Thanks for the info. If it is illegal to work, can i do some volunteering?. Yes my husband is into IT.

Regards,
    Gomathi

6. butterflyice

Yes, its definitely possible to manage and save with one salary.
    How old is your son? Buffalo grove has excellent schools. There are many indian stores in areas close to buffalo grove namely in wheeling, arlington heights, palatine. ****al, Prabu are some that I can think of hands down.

Wheeling is cheaper to live in compared to Buffalo grove. Any reason why you are keen on buffalo grove?

7. butterflyice

8. poornimakv

poornimakv New IL'ite

Thank you. My husband's colleagues are staying in buffalo grove. That is why we thought of that area and if we get good apartment in any near by area we are fine with it. If you can suggest us some good apartment with Indian community in Wheeling, it would be really helpful.

9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

1. You shouldn't work on H4 status, but some people work for cash on H4 stauts, which is illegal. You are new to country, please don't do that.

2. Detroit suburb schools are very good, ex, troy schools, rochester hills schools.
    Govt. schools are good, so cost wise no need to worry for schooling.

3. Cost of living in Detroit is less compared to other cities in USA. In troy, warren those areas single bedroom you can from 650 to 750 $.

Lot of Indian stores and Indian people. I feel Except cold winters, everything is good in Detroit suburbs. But don't live in downtown areas, as crime rate is high there.

If your husband first shares apartment with somebody in a month or so he gets an idea where to take house/apt for rent, considering schools and his office location.

All the best.

10. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

You can look for companies to sponsor you! That is not illegal. However sponsorship is easy to get if you have an IT degree.