1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

coats/jackets?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chaaral, Dec 15, 2014.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    So many different types of jackets and i get confused what kind of jacket to buy.
    I always feel cold. outside or at home. so always wear fleece at home but just wondering is there other materials which can keep warm?

Any tips of what kind of jackets/coats to buy? do u wear thermals?
    i always felt jeans was too cold to wear during winters. so looking into daily wear when we go out for grocery, kids classes,pick up and drop off etc.

no point grumbling abt winter n snow, better start liking it and enjoying with the right kind of clothes :)
    thanks!

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Where do you live? This might help in pointing to the warmest gear!

Hands down, down coats (not the puffy ones that you find in Walmart) and woolen coats are warm. Look for coats with atleast 60% wool content.

Thermals under jeans will keep you warm. Also boots (that you can find in target) with wool socks (you get them in Costco), fleece/wool gloves and a wool hat are indispensable. Also if you get from india, wool sweaters will help you stay warmer than fleece. YOu can also use them to layer under coats when it gets too cold.

1 person likes this.
  3. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Thermals+Woolen Leggings+Woolen Coats(Burlington etc)+woolen gloves+ear muffs+mufflers+leather boots (do not buy suede)+huge sunglasses to cover eyes from wind and you are all set !!

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It depends on how cold your winters are. I don't like thermals. If it is really freezing I will wear leggings under my jeans.
    Otherwise my usual uniform is jeans, layering t-shirt, sweater, scarf, coat with a hood and gloves. At home we wear sweatpants and sweaters as we keep the temperature low.
    I will use fleece jackets during the transition from fall to winter or winter to spring. For winter proper, I have down jackets of different weights. My favorite place to get these is Lands End, especially when they have one of their 40% off sales. I have a pair of waterproof boots for rainy/snowy days which is really helpful.

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thankyou Ladies. I am in NJ and sometimes travel to boston( quiet a few times)

Malstrom, i got a jacket last yr from landsend, the quality is so good but it was little bulky and heavy. i started getting shoulder pain due to the weight.
    sometimes i get rashes wearing woolen, so try not to especially when it touches my skin.

i got a down vest during the holidays sale which feels good and weightless. thanks for the suggestion. will try to get a down jacket too.

is fleece thermals good? sometimes with too much layering it gets bulky and so uncomfortable.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Chaaral,
    I use an outerwear jacket made of fleece. I have a fleece hoodie that I wear inside the house since we keep the temperatures low. I find that thermals become too warm indoors, even at home.

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I recommend Lands End also but go for real goose down, not synthetic. Also get one that goes to the knees. I personally find jeans to be cold and prefer winter knit pants or if it is just at home, some type of sweats. I wear wool socks all winter (knit my own and use Opal wool so they are easy care and last for years). You can layer but too many layers are also not good and be sure your clothing doesn't get too tight. 30% of your heat goes from your head so wear a good hat and gloves (thumbs up for Isotoner winter gloves). I wear inside long sleeve tees under zip top fleece. You can up it to a turtleneck when it's more cold.

8. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks Tina. Will look for real goose down jacket in landsend.
    i got a isotoner leather gloves which is leather one side and some fabric on the palm side which is not that warm, will look into other types.
    what are winter knit pants? i usually wear fleece or micro fleece lounge pants in house and even sometimes for errands and shopping becos its warm but i hate the look.
    as if i spend the winter 6 months in few pairs of fleece :thumbsdown

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

They have different weights of dress knit pants for summer and for winter. Winter ones are much thicker and warmer. Also you can get long johns for underneath. Remember also to wear something to cut the wind if it is windy. That is why the longer coats are better.

10. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks Tina. will look into winter knit pants.