1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What do you ladies do in diwali when in US??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Weasly, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I love diwali but from the time I am in US, there is hardly anything I can do in diwali. I wanted to know what do you ladies do in diwali whn in US?

-Cant burn crackers (Not that I did in India, but atleast one phoolhari i did burn every diwali)
    -I make some sweets.
    -Cook some special food items, that happens pretty much every weekend, Dh is big foodie.
    -Put up fairy lights in the balcony
    -Cant make rangoli, everything is carpeted
    -Can make rice rangoli also anywhere
    -Do pooja, thats like half an hour job, what after then?
    -No point in buying saree or heavy suit, I have so many of them n havnt even got a chance to wear them even once, so will probably wear one of those suits
    -Generally wud go to the temple, but parking is a mess that day
    -Light some diya and candles
    -no cleaning to do really like we did in India, house is clean only, just shifted so everything in its place
    WHAT TO DO IN DIWALI?? Please advice !!

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Do u have some friends or collegues ? Celebrate together by calling to pooja and prepare lunch or dinner for them ? Do it elaborate with some board games after dinner. Plan some games for kids too.

it will be a memorable Diwali. U do this time , next time your friends will do it Voluntarily I guess.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

There will be our community gathering in the temple only, thats in the weekend, they book the hall next to the temple to do a diwali get together ! But thats gud advice KashmirFlower !! Ill see if I can invite some neighbors here for that !

4. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

I used to invite all DH's friends/colleagues over to have diwali sweets/savouries prepared by me. The bachelors in the group used to have a feast as they miss home-cooked sweets/savouries and used to be the first to come and the last to leave :D That plus chai n chitchat in itself made us have a a great time.

1 person likes this.
  5. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

wow sounds like fun superwoman !! :)

6. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

The first year that we were there I called over everyone for two reasons, I was missing home and people terribly and also because in my enthusiasm for preparing sweets/savouries by myself had ended up making quite some amount that in no way I and DH would be able to finish (DH is not so fond of such stuff and eats only one or two items that he likes and does not even look at the other stuff prepared). I did not know that at that time.

After seeing the look on the faces of his colleagues, bachelors especially, I decided to host a diwali party every year at our place. I was saddened to see other families response. I thought everybody would pitch in too but was aghast to see the little amount of stuff that others got to share. However that did not dampen my enthusiasm and I continued to host it till the time we were there.

1 person likes this.
  7. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I wish I could do it in a grand scale like you do, but I know I wont be able to ! I have tests the following week, so 2-3 family I can manage. I miss being in India so much during these festival times, plus no holidays also, I have college and dh has office ! :(

8. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

All the best for your exams. Do not stress yourself out since you have studies to do. Call in a few close friends that too if you can manage or otherwise just make something special for the evening, order 1-2 movies online and spend cosy time with your husband in the evening.

1 person likes this.
  9. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I celebrated it traditionally minus the crackers...The oil bath followed by new dress, simple pooja and awesome food..Made lot of sweets and shared with all my friends. Went to temple..Now having 3 Diwali parties to attend this weekend as all such gettogethers happen only during the weekends....SO am planning to wear the best suits for all the parties..

Oops..I forgot the Traditional Rangoli i made in front of my Houe Door/Garage door with simple rice flour

1 person likes this.
  10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I wouldn't let the parking keep you from the temple activities. Carpool? Taxi? Hiking shoes?

Don't forget that your western friends might not have been exposed to Diwali so an evening with them could also be fun.

1 person likes this.