1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What brand rice in U.S.A for Athirasam/other snacks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by msm, Oct 5, 2014.

1. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Hi friends, which brand rice and oil will be suitable for preparing athirasam, thattai, thaenkulal in U.S.A? if you have specific combination/pre steps for preparing them, please share that as well.

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Thattai & Thenkulaul, I use rice-flour from Deepam / swadh brands.

Adhirasam, I used raw-rice, soaked and ground just like in india (using mixie though). Did only twice and I think used Sujatha brand.

Mostly, I try to stick to Sujatha, Ravi, Swadh, Deepam brands

1 person likes this.
  3. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks JustMyself for your response. Sorry about the late reply.

I tried using Deccan Sona Masoori, and grind using mixie, but though I sieved the flour twice, it was still very coarse and my athirasam was not very perfect. Will keep trying if I get Sujatha brand here.

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Can you please post the recipe for adhirasam? I love it, and have watched umpteen youtube videos on how to make it, but have failed miserably.

5. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

I tried with ravi sona masoori (long time ago)

6. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

rice- 2 cups
    sugar -2cups
    or
    600 gms rice
    500 gms jaggery

soak rice for 2hrs. drain and dry it on a cloth .powder it in a mixie and sieve it.
    melt sugar in water and make pagu(the pagu is like when you roll it,it will come like a ball.Remove from stove,add the rice flour,cardamom powder,poppy seeds or white sesame seeds.mix every thing till it form a dough.cool the dough. take some dough make small disc.deep fry in oil till golden brown . gently press between two small plates to release excess oil. hope you understand my english.

7. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

DKI - Making the Pagu in right padam is the trick here, This year is my first attempt and I failed very miserably thrice in my attempts. Last attempt though the dough came perfect, when I eat, I could feel the rice flour is not in the proper stage of the powder it was more coarse,

Failure in previous attempts
    1)too hard like a rock,
    2)too smooth/watery,
    3)dough was perfect but once dropped in oil, it broke into tiny pieces.

In addition to the paagupadam, light moisture in the flour should be there when we mix it with the paagu. So if you concentrate on making the right stage of coarseness in rice, moisture would have gone, and when the flour is perfect, paagu goes bad, way too many variables in this sweet :)

But if you read the recipe, it appears to be very simple and easy, may be once we learnt the trick :) wow, my mother and GM are experts, I realize now:)

I suggest you with very less quantity first and then gradually increase the measurement.

Come back with your result/any suggestions