1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Seems to me as Racist teacher :(

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SurekhaKrishna, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends
    my 4 year old goes to preschool in Houston city.her teacher won't greet me or tell what are all things my child did during my child pickup in afternoon.(my child can't explain about her activities in classroom).she was her teacher in last year too.i want to avoid this person as my child's teacher.she is rude to me and annoying me with her bad manners.she talks to other parents at the door constantly and even to other teachers I feel embarrassed not just insulted when I am at the door who fails to get at least an eye contact with her.the school management always supports her.
    i have checked other schools close to our area.the current school has best security features like locked entrance doors during school hours.
    i spoke to school staff today as the teacher misbehaved like the same old time :(
    the staff has called me to meet that teacher after morning drop off.i said I don't want to meet her in person.
    Pls give suggestions.

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Now that you have been given a chance to meet her in person, I would suggest talk it out . Most of the teachers here are nice and polite, so if she really IS rude to you, she may change her approach to you now that she knows that you have involved the other staff. She may have an email id, email her and ask her for an appointment so that you can discuss about the child. If she doesnt respond, talk to the principal and sort the matter out.But talk first.

3. SurekhaKrishna

I got daily reports of her potty training and nap time in 2 year old class.
    In my baby's 3 year old class,this rude person was one of her teachers.
    She gave no feedback of whether my little girl ate nicely or not.
    She made parent teacher conferences twice in school year.
    If I had known my LO's learning issues in time I would have corrected her at the same month.
    I came to know everything only in the last school closing may month.
    I really liked 2 year old class teachers very much.they give a hug to me when I come across them in school. I give valentines gifts signed by my daughter :) to them.
    3 year old teacher is not liked by me because she don't give feedback in proper time.
    Now this same person is coming for 4 year old stay and play.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Is she behaving the same way with other Indian parents too?
    can you check on that?

I know it is very uncomfortable to meet someone you hate.Why don't you ask your husband to join you?When you meet her,do not accuse her directly but do it in a diplomatic manner lest she causes other problems or irritate your DD.

Sometimes,we have to bite our tounge and hypocritically talk to people we hate for our own benefit.We want things to get done,so carefully and calmly handle this situation.Tell her that she wants to clarify some concerns and do not make this issue even bigger.

Everything will be fine:)

5. chootki

chootki New IL'ite

She may or may not be racist. US schools take racism charges seriously. I have seen some people are just uncomfortable talking to foreigners, they fear they may not understand the accent or the other person may not speak English well enough. I have met many people like that and their comfort level changes once you take the initiative. That sometimes means getting in their face. Next time greet her with her name, "Good Morning Mrs. X". When you pickup your kid, get her attention. "Excuse me, Mrs X, just wanted to know how my daughter did today". I always take a cup of coffee or tea to parent meetings and give her small gifts for Christmas, Valentine's day etc. It makes a lot of difference. Try all this and if she still seems cold & uncaring, make sure your daughter is never placed with her again.

You have already complained to the school staff and refused to meet with her. Remedy that by talking to her directly or emailing her saying you want to meet with her. When you met let her know diplomatically that you sensed discomfort from her side that's why you spoke to the staff. Then tell her tell her you are an involved parent and would like to have a good relationship with the teacher. Praise her a little - It seems my daughter is enjoying coming to your class but I would like to know some details. Most Americans like direct approach. Good Luck!

6. SurekhaKrishna

Thanks for replying everyone.
    my LO has to spend time in 2 different classrooms and 2 teachers.
    her morning class teacher is a nice person.there will be lunch after morning class at 12:15 pm in stay and play classroom.my LO will be moved here to have her lunch and play.this rude teacher I am talking about is the incharge till 2:30 pm.
    gauridinesh i have asked email I'd of my LO's present class teacher(NOT the rude person)
    she said I have to email school management and they will inform her about my email.

7. SurekhaKrishna

Hi friends,I had a talk with the school director today morning.she has apologized for what had happened to me.the real good news comes here...my LO will go to a different stay and play teacher class :):cool2::wow

I appreciate each ILite advice in my thread.You have really supported me with your replies.:thankyou2: This issue was going on since last year.I am relaxed Chillout! Now.