1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving tips ; within the US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pinkRoseBud, Jul 30, 2014.

1. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    currently we (me and my husband) are staying in Dallas TX. We will be moving to LA very soon. Since we are moving for a personal reason, company won't be paying for this. So I am looking for some affordable options.

1. Selling heavy furniture a and buying new ones after moving.
    In this case what are my options to sell? I mean where and how do I sell? Is it a viable option or it's gonna be waste of money?

2. Renting an uhaul attachable thing and driving.
    I have no idea about uhaul rent and other stuff around it.

3. Shipping furniture and other stuff
    Again no clue about its price and all.

Above are my concerns. Could anybody help me on this? TIA

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Good luck with your move!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. letsknow

letsknow Silver IL'ite

Welcome to LA.

1. It depends on how much you paid for the furniture. If its expensive it'll be worth moving. If its inexpensive or if you have plan to replace them pretty soon, then as dispose them off and buy it new after you move.
    2. Renting UHaul is pretty easy. Its almost like driving a car. You just rent an U-Haul truck of right size for your needs. You can easily get online Quote on their website. If you go this route , you have to pack , load/unload. If you have friends around who are willing to help , then this will work out.
    3. You can check out about moving company's on net and get a quote from them, that will give you an idea whether to do it yourself or go with a moving company. You can get review of Movers from site like yelp.com

1 person likes this.
  4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

PRB,

Sell all the heavy furniture in craigslist or facebook (facebook has local resale groups through which you can sell stuff)

UHaul renting is quite easy. you can find lot of information online on that. Move only things that are necessary. If you're not using anything for a long time, get rid of it/

You can also find moving boxes in craigslist. If not. UHaul also sells moving boxes that you can buy.

Moving is tiring. But with little bit of organizing, you can do it without much hassle.

1 person likes this.
  5. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Your best bet is craig list. Sell all your furniture and move hassle free. But be careful about the buyers of craig list. Always ask for cash.

1 person likes this.
  6. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

I go with the above posters,

- If your furniture is new/worth moving, then spend money on moving, else sell it off
    check craigslist, local indian website to advt the stuff
    - UHaul is pretty easy, you can check the quotes in their website for truck renting
    - We moved twice in the interstate with all the luggage(employer paid both the times). we used United Van lines movers, they are genuine in service and bit pricey..but will guarantee in no damage to the stuff

Good luck with the move

1 person likes this.
  7. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much for your replies ladies..

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Pinkrosebud

I hope you're still looking for advice, I went through the exact same scenario last year, of moving from Texas to CA.. .the only difference was that company was paying for our relo.

1. Selling heavy furniture a and buying new ones after moving.
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]In this case what are my options to sell? I mean where and how do I sell? Is it a viable option or it's gonna be waste of money?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]A. I would suggest to retain 1 or 2 pieces of essential furniture (like a couch/bed) and sell the rest. When we were moving, we knew that houses sizes in CA were going to be small compared to those in TX, so we did not want to take a whole lot and end up with no room to put them in. Moreover, if you're planning on first renting a place and then buying, I would strongly suggest you to not buy new furniture there, because you want to keep your furniture buying to suit the new house and not a rental place. Either way, first... keep few essential pieces and sell the rest. As someone suggested, Craigslist is a great way to sell![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]2. Renting U-Haul for small distances is pretty cheap. But for long distance moves, I would suggest you to shop around for movers that give you the best quote. You can give them a rough estimate of what you want to take, and many moving businesses that usually have a long truck will be moving stuff cross country, and are cheaper than the big moving companies. They will stop at each place where they have stuff to drop off on the way from Texas to CA and keep offloading. My SIL moved from Nebraska to the East Coast and this is what she did. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]3. Often, shipping stuff, especially things like furniture might end up costing more than the furniture itself is worth. And remember, rents are significantly higher and space significantly lesser than in Texas, so if you ship all the furniture, you might end up just having no room to put it anywhere, and have to go through the hassle of selling in in a new place.

[/FONT]All the best with the move!!

1 person likes this.
  9. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Peartree sorry for the delay.. Saw your reply now.
    thanks for the answer dear.. It's really helpful.

i have one more question. We are going to move to Los Angeles. Could you suggest something apartments and all?

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Pinkrosebud

Glad that you found this helpful. I am sorry, we moved to the Bay Area from Texas. So I have no idea about apartments or communities in LA!

1 person likes this.