1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Medical Insurance for parents visiting USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by droplet, Jan 14, 2014.

1. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My IL's are planning to visit us for this summer for 3-4 months. Suggest me the some of good medical insurance.

My FIL is healthy, no medical problems.
    My MIL is diabetic, very much prone to sickness, have a long medical history.
    She gets admitted to hospitals at least once in a year.

Is it worth taking a comprehensive package for MIL, since her illness comes under pre-condition.

Went through the sticky notes and the last posts dates back to 2011.

kindly suggest.

Thanks

2. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

My dad has pre-existing conditions and Inbound USA covered those and we took it for 3 months. But we didn't had to visit any Dr. So I am not sure how good this is.

3. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Thank you soumya

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Droplet,

Did you finalize on any Insurance ? My in-laws have same history as yours. So, am thinking of finding one soon..

5. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

No not yet.. Wil update you once we finalize. Do tell me if you came across any

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Sure, will do so @droplet. By the way, where are they travelling from ? My ILS will be travelling from Chennai.

7. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Yes they are also travelling from chennai

8. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

My in-laws from Chennai to LA. Could nt find your city...

9. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

They are flying to newyork by May last

10. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

We were looking for travel insurance for my in-laws for a while, as my MIL (64) is type 1 diabetic (takes insulin injections twice a day) and my FIL (65) is type 2 (diabetic medications). My MIL also has heart complains, she underwent angioplasty and has a shunt in her blood-vessel now. So, while we wanted to entertain their visit to USA, also wanted to make sure they get the utmost hospital care if they need.

I was looking for "Comperehensive Coverage" and chose to cover acute onset of pre-exitsting condition. Am sure most of you are aware by now that none of the insurance in USA covers pre-existing condition for visitors. Also India Insurance would be of zero use as they expect to settle the bill in hospital and submit for claims later. Having undergone surgical treatments here is USA, am aware how hefty bills could be ranging from 1000$ to 90000$+.

Also, many of the policies does not cover emergency-medical-checkups/treatments if at the end of admission they find nothing wrong with the patient (which happens too often with my MIL in India)

So, we finalized on "Atlas America" from Insubuy.com. This seemed to cover most of what we were looking for. I spoke to the agent before I bought this, and ofcourse asked her every hypothetical situations that I could think of. I also checked for "in-network" clinics / urgent care / doctors & hospitals availability closer to home before I signed up. (This is very important)

Below is what we finalized on.
    Product Type: Atlas America (from Visitor Medical Insurance. Visitors Insurance for USA visitors. Visitor Health Insurance for relatives visiting USA)
    Policy Maximum: $ 500,000
    Per Person Deductible: $ 250 Per Person
    Total Price: $ 1,310.24 (for both together for 2.5 months)

When I was trying to zero in on an insurance, I had to read through various forums and approach several of my friends, before I could take a decision. Hope this info helps someone in future. All the very Best.

PS: By God's grace we have not had any occurance of visiting doctor / hospital.

Regards,
    JM