1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why desis prefer to talk in english

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by aqawa, Sep 12, 2013.

1. aqawa

aqawa Senior IL'ite

I have seen people from other nation start speaking in their language in public places when they meet, why do desis prefer English and even when they use their own language its stuffed with enough English to make a sense out of it.
    Other day in a city park, one 25is aunty was saying her 3 year old son..'beta water pour karo sand pe, sand ko wet karo'..LOL

Today, in subway, fully crowded, evening hours two desis talk like this, now you judge, what we should be doing.

1>hey man..enjoying haaaaaa, full enjoying US life, i saw you other day with that...hahahahahha
    2> yessss man, what else..what you doing
    1>nothing as usual..
    1>where you living now
    2> here only near **** station, its good man just 300 dollar man, what else you need
    1> really..
    2> yes, man its 2 BR apartment and rent is 1700 but we are 5 people..
    1> so 5 people how are you paying only 300..
    2>areee..i live in living room yaar..we have adjusted everything..heheheh
    there is lot more it to, i enjoyed it for full 25 minutes..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    4 people like this.

2. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

Wow...i dont even know where to start but let me tell you my observation/experience. When you say why desis talk in english, how sure are you that both of their mother tongue was same? We come from a lot of different cultural and language backgrounds even though we are from one country. I may go to lunch with a desi colleague but we might speak different languages(like Telugu, Kannada, malayalam, tamil, hindi). I am not sure about your awareness of number of Indian languages but we have about 21 official languages per census and about 850 languages are in daily use. Now imagine the probability of two people you see in subway who are speak the same language. I totally disagree with your generalization that Indians prefer to speak in English, its just happens that english is a common language which two people from India seem to speak and understand.

12 people like this.
  3. aqawa

aqawa Senior IL'ite

Ok, that is a point but that does not defeat my question i believe, let me say two Indians who can otherwise speak in common language still prefer to talk in English, at least in public, many times my friends start talking to me in English who i know for sure can use a local language, generalizations is the science of study of human behavior, generalization plays a big role in how humans are treated, how universe work, how wars are fought, etc..etc..so it can not be wished away...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

India is so linguistically diverse which makes it hard to be ableto speak a common language. I've done this several times, start speaking Hindi only to be informed by the person that s/he speaks kannada/Tamil etc. Now I ask if the person speaks Hindi before getting too excited. Agree with you on mother-son conversation, that's funny yet not uncommon. Once a mother was scolding her 3ish yo son at the airport-"tusi sit jao, sitte kyun nahi", l chuckled.

5 people like this.
  5. 3ds

3ds Bronze IL'ite

In India too many people who speak regional language bring english in their conversation. That's why everyone mockingly say Hinglish, manglish etc.. I have heard hindi speaking persons speak mostly in english and a little hindi in Mumbai. Even most college going persons speak in english in India ( mostly in metro cities). About the conversation about mother and son, she will be teaching her son english words. I agree its funny listening to others conversation( sometimes) in our presence.

6. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Maybe they are trying to polish their English speaking skills or show off in front of friends how well they can speak in English:D

Jokes apart yes we do see friends speaking English but for us we did that mostly when in a group because even if only two people were conversing we wanted all of them to know what we were speaking and not think that anyone is hiding things (ours was a large culturally diverse group, some were having same mother tongue but most were not).

Yes its fun to hear English spoken along with mother tongue. I see many people doing that now. The original flavor of languages is fast disappearing with kids now not knowing their mother tongue as most of the talks happen in English with parents.

7. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

correctly said..... Angrez chale gaye, par apni bhasha BHARAT mein chod gaye.

I talk to my 5-year-old son this way....."Beta, yeh kachre ke dibbe mein phek do"...but at the same time in order to make him learn few basic English words to communicate in day-to-day life, i repeat my sentence. "Beta, yeh "dustbin" mein "throw" kar do with "ACTION", so that he can understand what i want to make him understand.

I think it is not funny.....but this is

P.s.: Honestly, tell me how many of you say "Us chitrapatal/durdarshan sadhan ko chalu kar do" in your day-to-day life?

8 people like this.
  8. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

I am the only family in my town from my state, and it makes me feel awkward when other ladies are talking in their mother tongue at social gathering as I don't understand any of it. As most of the people mentioned here that people speak different languages in India and English is the common language everyone can understand.

Also, sometimes people do want to show off their English knowledge (generally people who really don't know much English!) and end up looking like the aunty on airport(sitte kyun nahi)- according to one proverb that says "adhura ghada chhalkata bahut hai"

4 people like this.
  9. Titanium001

Titanium001 Silver IL'ite

OMG...this is hilarious...sitte kyun nahi...can't stop laughing...

2 people like this.
  10. madhu

madhu New IL'ite

Interesting............