1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Making Indian style cooking easy in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ramyaramani, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

My parents are going to be here to help me with my second delivery. I am looking for ideas to reduce the work load for my mom especially on the kitchen front (she is a businesswoman so would be having office work too). Typically for breakfast it will be oats for them, idli/dosa for DH, porridge for DD. Lunch would be rice, sambar, curry and rotis/sabji for dad. Dinner for DH would be the lunch menu.

This is what I am planning to do:

Rotis: buy the frozen dough ones available in Costco
    Side dishes: am planning to freeze small quantities as and when I cook in the next few weeks
    Vegetables: Frozen mixed vegetables for backup
    Idli/dosa batter: grind a new batch a day before they arrive
    Onions: Chop couple of onions and keep them in fridge. Should I freeze these?
    Tamarind paste: for daily use

DH is picky about food so he is very specific about how each item should taste. So would it be a good idea to freeze regular sambars/vathakuzhambus?
    Can I freeze chutneys i.e tomato-onion ones?

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I have no idea if you can freeze samber but I have frozen the following things--

I will chop onions-- sauté them in oil
    sauted onion+garlic+ginger+ tomatoes
    made rotis
    Dal
    Palak panner

I think you can easily freeze dosa batter. All the best.

2 people like this.
  3. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Check this website Freezer Friendly – Ready to Eat Indian Dishes | Spiceindiaonline

From other websites, some have suggested to freeze gravies without vegetables and tadka. I have tried Idliy's as suggested in that website. Sometimes I microwave them or I just steam and they turn out like fresh ones. I have tried freezing half-cooked aloo parathas too and they turn out ok but not like fresh(maybe I am not doing it the exact way).

2 people like this.
  4. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

if you want to make work much more easy, you can also buy chopped onions, carrots, cabbage and peas from costco. Costco has them cut in various styles from juveline pieces for pulao varieties to finely chopped for curries.

1 person likes this.
  5. fari7

fari7 New IL'ite

As far as dosa batter is concerned, i keep half of the batter for fermentation for next day n the other half goes into refrigerator which i use after 3 4 days. I ferment it n use it. Its looks n tastes fresh..

1 person likes this.
  6. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite

nice blog and good luck with the delivery and the new baby!! there r few things that I use in the frozen section. I try not to use frozen as much as I can as I am a fresh freak but few things have helped me over the years.
    in the frozen section where naans are, there is mirch masala daal and patato kachori uncooked from deep foods that I keep if u like puris or kachoris . they r v affordable and do come handy for quick lunch. they r the bestest product I've ever tried.
    I also make onion, garlic ginger gr mirch tomato masala sauted in oil that I keep in a jar in the fridge last about a month and it comes handy, saves time on daily sautéing process
    u cud freeze chutneys, they stay fine
    good luck

2 people like this.
  7. fari7

fari7 New IL'ite

Hey ravioli,
    Could u plz briefly explain how u do that onion ginger tomato thing? n do u freeze it?
    Coz everyday Indian cooking does require sauteing of onions tomato gin gar...
    I will be more than relieved if i get to know that we can prepare it in large quantity n refrigerate it.(n also tips on how to refrigerate it)

Thanks
    Fari

8. ramyaramani

@anmolhai oh yeah...I can definitely keep sauteed onions. It will be super useful. How long can we freeze dal?

@soumya Thank you for the link. It is useful. Do you freeze idlis immediately after cooking them or do you wait for them to cool down a bit?

@mathiravi shall try other chopped veggies. I usually buy frozen peas, okra, mixed veggies.

@fari7 Do you freeze the unfermented batter or just refrigerate it? I usually use fermented batter for upto 10 days. Of course as the batter gets old I can only prepare dosa or uthappam or kuzhi paniyaram.

@ravioli i love those kachoris. I can definitely stock some to prepare as snacks for any guests. Thats a nice idea.

9. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Few of the items (1-5) I had stocked, when I had a surgery, and there was no help around...Also adding tips shared by some of my friends.

1. Dosa Batter - fermented (can be used for 3-4 days .. good for idli & dosa)
    - Unfermented (ferment it after 4 days... will just be good for idli & dosa for next 3-4 days)

2. Kaara chutney - Good for Idli / Dosa
    Grind Onion,Tomatoes,Red chillies And roast with little garlic & salt) --> Stays good in fridge for 1-2 weeks

3. Mint / Coriander Chutney - Roast Mint/coriander leaves roasted with onions, chick-peas, red-chillies & tamarind - grind. Good for idli/dosa

4. Tomato chutney - Roast tomatoes + red-chillies + garlic.. and grind. Good for idli/dosa/puliyodharai

5. Kaara Kuzhambu / Puli Kulambu - Stays good in fridge for 1-2 weeks

6. Half Made Curry
    Saute Onion, ginger+garlic, tomatoes, red chilli in oil, wait till oil seeps out of the mixture, and store it.
    This could be made in a big batch, and would stay fresh for 1-2 weeks in fridge.
    Any time you want to make a curry/side-dish for roti, all you need is to add cut vegetables, & any other ingredient to get the curry ready.

7. Roti-land - frozen rotis- to be thawed & made fresh rotis.
    My friend said, the same roti-mix also could be used for making amazing pooris'

8. Frozen Naans & Malabar Parottas - are our favorites too..

9. Lemon Rice mix

10. Puliyodharai mix

When you yearn for some diff taste, try below items.

1. Pongal - a low work whole-some dish. All I do is grind coconut chutney to go with it. (I use, shredded coconut and freeze it. Thaw the reqd coconut in Microwave and Add WARM water to grind the chutney )

2. Dal + potato fry + rice

3. Simple egg fried rice -> saute onions, egg, green chillies, cumin & add cooked rice.

4. Simple Pulav -- Saute Onions, ginger+garlic + frozen peas, garam masala & add cooked rice.

5. Pasta - TJ's have an awesome pasta sause

6. Noodles - maggi or chinese.

I have never FROZEN cooked items, I have only refridgerated them, and mostly after 4-5 days, we start longing for different taste. So my tips could be used for week-days.. and on week-ends you/your Mom could cook some fresh food to break the routine, and get on for week-days again.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck with the delivery:)

Cheers,
    JM

3 people like this.
  10. ramyaramani

@JM thank you for providing the tips in detail. I hav never frozen food before so having starting trouble. But I guess refrigeration would work equally well too.