1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

long term preparation for moving to US?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by dimhere, Jul 15, 2013.

1. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

It looks like my DH will be asked to relocate to US in the coming year (Apr-May 2014) and it will be long term. As you know in IT, nothing is sure....but still, if we are all going to relocate with him, any ways that I can prepare myself and my kids for the move??

I am asking since we have such a long time to move there...

For starters, like speaking to kids in English more, or exposing them to the US accent....Trying to dispose off things from our house here...,etc.

Any other ideas??

2. pats

pats New IL'ite

Hi

When you mean long term, how long it is for? or are you guys planning to move to US and settle here only? Answer depends on that.

If its for a fixed duration but long term, then you need not dispose stuff over there. you can give it to your family or frnds and collect it back when you go back. or otherwise, you can keep all your household stuff in warehouse. that is an option too. I have done the same. I lived in bangalore. So am not sure which part of india you are from.
    If you are planning to settle here, then dispose all the stuff you have over there and move once for all.

3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Thanks, pats...it is for a fixed duration but long term...

4. jaswanthca

jaswanthca New IL'ite

Long term means ? through which visa you are entering to USA.