1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Life in America - things to like

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by AbiV, Feb 28, 2008.

1. AbiV

AbiV New IL'ite

Things I like about my life in America

Our family has been in USA(pacific northwest) for almost 4 years now. The other day I tried to make a list of all the things I like about my life here - some of which I
    realised would be a great addition to our homeland.

1. The best thing for me is the library - I still remember my round-eye reaction when I saw it for the first time. I always check out the area libraries wherever I am. I
    used to regularly visit the british council library, american library, public library at mount road and at the museum complex, and the local lending libraries when I was
    in chennai.

But the libraries here are unique because :
    - They have big children's section with child-size book racks, board books that can't be chewed or torn, children's videos,audio-cds, books on cd, dvds, a puppet
    theatre and a box of puppets to play with, some counting toys, child-size tables and chairs, a computer corner loaded with only child appropriate educational games.
    -They have regular children story times (different ones for different age groups) by the children's librarian.
    -There is a huge selection of magazines, fiction and non-fiction, computers for browsing and an information desk for help. What was surprising for me was that library
    doesn't restrict anything - there are adult books for adult readers
    -They have a self-check out system and automated check-in
    -They have a very nice e-book collection
    and the state of art e-catalogue that allows search and hold from 40 libraries around the area.
    and the most impressive of all is that it is free. Its free because whatever money the library requires for maintanence and expansion they raise from public by bond
    issue and their bond issues usually get atleast 60% majority vote.

2. Roadtrips - our family loves travelling around. we would rather eat a cold picnic in front of new scenary every weekend rather than eloborate preparations at
    home. The infrastructure and information available makes planning a trip at the drop of a hat possible. There are free maps available just for the asking. When we first
    arrived here , we used to be frightened of getting lost because you just couldn't stop and ask for directions. we still don't have a GPS but manage very well with
    mapquest.com directions. we had taken lots of 200 mile or more day trips :) - with 2 kids in carseats thats quite a feat , if I may say so myself.

3. Lots of basic govt. things -like SSN, car registration etc. are transparent. we call or look up the procedure, send it by mail and get it done without having to lookup
    even one govt. official. Having spent a week visiting the concerned office for birth certificates, licence and employement registration , I appreciate this greatly. But
    then if you want to get something done illegaly, then there is no one you could 'see' .

But this doesn't mean that somethings here don't drive me up the wall. I would write that in a different post.

Like our american friend used to say "What is it that you would like to take from here, back home?"

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I agree - the library system here is just great. the other things i like about living here are:

traffic rules - for the most part driving is easy and everyone follows traffic rules
    work culture - i find the work culture here very friendly and none of the bitching and back stabbing that was common in india (maybe it was just in my workplace !!)
    open public places - so many parks and open areas to relax in and so much greenery.
    Less crowds and pollution
    and i am really thankful for clean public restrooms - u can find one almost anywhere in america - good luck trying to find one in India!!

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Few more to add to the list....
    I like the commuting part very much. We could read, sleep or do any other crafts while commuting.. (I just can't imagine now how I used to commute in BTS in Banglore).

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I like the travelling part in car very much. Love to see greenery everywhere and freshens mind up a lot.

5. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

More to add to the list is :The 911 emergency call, i had to call twice and was very grateful for their service, where as in india talking to police and then on is a big headache with bribes and the way they treat us etc.
    here they come within few minutes and it is so clear and neat.

While pregnant and addmitted in hospital, they do listen to what we have to say, if we dont want some procedure to be done, which is optional, or if we have some preferences then they do respect it, whereas in india i have seen for my cousins, they just have to listen to the nurses and doc and whatever they say is right, they would ask are u the doctor or me? even my mom was surprised when she came for my delivery.

6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Even my mom was very much impressed in the way doctors and nurses took care of us in hospital..
    Apart, i admire nature, shopping and self check outs, online banking, apologizing if they did any mistake, and so many...

One important thing is....

Smiles from others eventhough we dont know them, but in India people see us from top to bottom in such a way that irritates us a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Wonderful list. They say you should count your blessings and show an attitude of gratitude. Here are my additions

1. Return policy at stores. It's all customer centric. You get to try them so easily and return if you change mood within 90 days.

2. Excellent customer service. When my blender stopped working, they replaced it for me entirely.

3. All time free phone plans and high speed internet. Karlo duniya mutti me :)

4. Kitchens even in apartments are so equipped. Baking, Cooking everyhting is so easy.

5. Lesser pollution. The house and furniture doesn't accumulate as much dust as in India.

6. Cleaning, Vacuuming is so easy.

7. Internet support for all services we use.

8. Wide array of activities like skiing, rafting, ice-skating, hiking. India too may have some of these, but it's very common here.

I loved the list "Smile" part and the "Road Trip and GPS" one :)

8. AbiV

AbiV New IL'ite

Re: Life in america

yes, having babies here , makes one feel in control i must say. I had our son in India, where no one was allowed with me during my long drawn labor - save for a very young nurse. I had our daughter here - and my hubby could stay with me during the c-section. hubby was the involved parent from day 1 - our family has bonded strongly at that time.

come to think of it, i do laundry less frequently here , because clothes stay fresh even after an outing :)

lots of different kinds of food - and without power cuts, we store lots of things in freezer to be cooked when the mood strikes. my north indian friend here insists, that the food quality (less worry about contaminants) is a big plus for her.

This is a good list to go over, whenever we are so depressed about being a long way from home.

9. AbiV

AbiV New IL'ite

I forgot to add the 'on demand' facility. we love this at our home - we watch discovery channel programme "how its made", history channel "modern marvels" and pbs sprout programmes when we feel like it. This is definitely something we could use back home in India

10. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Yeah for the tax we pay here we do get back a quality life, no power cuts and good schools.
    where as in india with all the tax we pay we still have hard time with power cuts especially in summer.
    The other best thing i like here in USA is no mosquitos, no lizards no cockroaches.
    i have heard some friends complain abt roaches in their apts but i have never had that problem.