1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

US Customs charged for bringing in jewelry from India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by bvssrs, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bvssrs

bvssrs New IL'ite

Hi,
    On Dec 23rd '13 I landed in Houston, TX from India by BA with my 3 years kid. I went for marriage and naturally I came with lot of gold, packed in carry on. As customs officer what's in it, I said some ancestral jewelry and food.

To this extent they took me to other room and made me stay there for gruesome 1 1/2 hr without even access to use cell phone.

While asking for amount of jewelry I declared $2k- $4K. However they started checking. Then they saw my diamond necklace and started counting each diamond and finally demanded $400 which I paid by my credit card.

Naturally the next day I called customs and was told that
    1) if from ancestors the maximum allowed gift is $100
    2) if own brought outside US, the amount of valuables has to be declared and pay the fine; $10K limit is not for jewelry it seems.
    3) if owned before going to India, they want us to show proof of ownership from atleast an year earlier through receipts or via insurance claims.

Does anyone has such an experience with customs? If yes, how did you dealt with it after the fact?

Thanks!

1 person likes this.

2. Nagmaa

Nagmaa Silver IL'ite

OMG this sounds definitely scary . So you were made to pay 400$ fine amount overall?

1 person likes this.
  3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

oh! I had no idea about these things. In my case, When I came to the US (immediately a week after marriage) - I had worn 2 reasonably thick chains, the tali, gold bangles, silver anklets - :spin you know as a newly wed bride.

Rest of the Gold & silver I had kept in India and got a little every time I went to India. Neither the first time nor on subsequent trips did anyone ask us to pay any fine.

Not sure why you were asked to pay. Lets see what others have to say. Sorry couldn't be of much help.

1 person likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the heads up ! I thought it was only an issue when we go from here to India with the recent changes.
    Its going to be a pain for most of us...

1 person likes this.
  5. DURGARAJ

DURGARAJ Silver IL'ite

This is really frightening . I have never heard of paying custom duty for gold in US. I have heard of paying in India. One of my friend was asked to pay the duty for the gold necklace she was wearing in Mumbai Airport. She didn't carried anything else, but still she was ended up paying 5000 Rs.

6. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

hmm..this is really scary..all of us should be really careful when we travel ladies!

7. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

are there any charges if we take gold from here to India? Even if the Gold was initially brought from India and is just making return trip? ouch i have no clue.

How much is it and what is the max limit we can carry without paying fines? is the limit based on the gms each necklace or the value of the necklace @ current gold prices

Sorry to stray from the topic OP.

8. Nagmaa

Nagmaa Silver IL'ite

The rule in Indian customs allows you to take gold worth 20,000 INR that is some 7 gms of gold. If that is the case the one can't wear more than a pair of earrings. But I am clueless whether it is followed in every Indian airport or only the major city airports.

9. bvssrs

bvssrs New IL'ite

I do not mean to say everyone in that flight is charged. There is also another Indian woman before me who brought all the receipts but it made CBP life more easy in claiming more duty. AT the same time my friend is not checked nor I have this experience in my 12 years of US Stay.
    But one thing though is, once they start noticing this with Indian women in general, they will do the same thing as thieves in US who are after this easy money of gold.
    I still feel like it is all our hard earned money after paying taxes and why do they fine me for buying things of what I like.

10. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi bvssrs,
    Welcome to IL......but feeling sorry that your first post has some horrible experience.....
    Appreciate your gesture of sharing with us .....
    Me....I always travel light......so didn't face any such issue...but, surely your post would a pointer during our return trip to India.....
    Thanks for sharing......
    Hope to see you more in IL.....:)