1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Pillsbury Atta / Sujata Atta in Bay area, in entire US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by GPriya, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Re: NO More Pillsbury Atta in Bay area,California

Shravantika - since Whole Foods sells in bulk, you can buy just enough for one time and see how you like it - the price was also reasonable $.99/lb. I have not tried the one from Walmart - I was thinking of it when our local Indian stores did not have the atta in stock. I wish they had a smaller bag - I would give it a try. But on the other hand, it is not expensive - so you could give it a try and give us your feedback.

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi GP,

Try making dosas with the aata - works better than for rotis.

3. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shobanag,

your idea seems good.. let me try the wholefoods stone ground atta. But if it has bran in it, it won't be soft...as I do make only phulkas without any oil. Anyway, I have a choice of buying just for a day and try it out b4 making up my mind. Thanx for the suggestion.

Hi Shravantika,

Walmart att (whole wheat) was bought by a friend, its not good. Not rubbery but its hard..no softness at all.

Thanx again,
    Geeth Priya.

4. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Geeth Priya - even though it has bran in it - the rotis came out better than I expected - since, it has bran, I let the dough sit for a while before I rolled it out. I heated the leftover rotis in the microwave for 10 secs - I usually keep it inside a ziploc and warm it up - it stayed soft. I feel that even if it is soft when we first cook it, that is pretty good, dont you think - especially when you are getting a product that is full of fibre and is better for you than other brands.

5. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shoba,

Its really good to know that the rotis are soft even the next day. Well, your description tempts me to goto wholefood store asap to buy the same atta and try it out. Let me do that over the weekend and let you know how I feel about it. But I definitely have to find a way of getting rid of the existing 20 lbs of captain cook RUBBERY atta in some way or other. My policy is never waste anything. I am not fond of buying until things get over..and thats what caused me the headache of my favourite Pillsbury not in stock!!!!!

Thanx again,
    Geeth Priya.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: No more Pillsbury Atta / Sujata Atta in Bay area, in entire USA

Hi Ladies,

I recently got Desi Atta (because it said it is whole wheat) and it was so difficult to press and make rotis. I tried all techniques of mixing the flour with warm water, leave it for some time before making the rotis, etc. No use. Just stay away from Desi Atta!

I then tried Swarna - chakki fresh atta. Geeth Priya, I should say this is somewhat close to Pillsbury or Sujata, may be because this too is Chakki fresh atta like Pillsbury. You may want to try this one, unfortunately this too comes in 20lbs only.

With this hunt for good brand attas, of-late I have started buying a lot of whole wheat tortillas from the American grocery stores (we have one called HEB in Texas). They are in fact good, healthy and on top saves the time of making rotis My 2cents.

Malathy

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  7. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Malathy,
    What is the brand name of Whole Wheat Tortillas?

8. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Induslady,

I plan to follow the suggestion given by Shobanag.. will buy the wholefoods whole wheat atta, just for a day's preparation and see how comfortable I am with that. If I like it, buy little more. I am NOT ABOUT TO BUY one more 20lbs and waste. The existing 19 lbs of captain cook atta is bothering me...I tried dosa with this atta y'day, horrible.

May be, your suggestion of buying wheat tortillas is a good idea for me to try...if no atta is upto my taste.

Thanx,
    Geeth Priya.

9. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

The "different" smell that accompanies the whole wheat tortillas has always made me stay away .but they are handy as always...any tips ladies?

10. rekhas

rekhas Senior IL'ite

Hello Geeth Priya,

I just saw this post as all of were sick. Anyway, coming to your question, most of the Indian stores here on SoCal carry Nature's Best wheat flour. The rotis/chapathis have not failed once. Even the dough stays good in the refrigerator for quite a few days. HTH