1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Top US tourist attractions!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by OCdesigirl, Oct 4, 2012.

1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi OCDesigirl,
    Nice thread! Since you seem to breathing the air of Disneyland,I think you are the best person to answer my queries!! Pretty pretty Please!
    Well,we are planning to make a trip to LA next week,but haven't made any plans yet.H is not keen on Disneyland,but agreed for my DD's sake.I was supposed to research and choose the best options for stay,what all to see etc,but I havent done anything yet :( So here are my Qs
    1)can you tell me some do's and don'ts at Disneyland?
    2) How many days do I need?will a 1-day do or should I buy the 2-day park hopper? (So costly,how do you go every week)
    3)Are the rides included in the fare?Am not much into rides.
    4)Should certain days/times be avoided-due to crowd etc?Which is the best time of the day to go?
    5)How are the veggie food options inside?
    6)DO you have any ideas about good hotels?I know you stay there,so might not have an idea,but just hope you do!
    7)Are there any other places that we can cover in L.A. near Disneyland?Not more than a few hrs drive.

ANything else,tips you can think of..please share!! Thanks so much!

1 person likes this.
  2. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

1. There are not really any don'ts lol except don't miss the world of color show in California Adventure.
    2.You will need the 2-day pass during the holidays it is very beautiful but very crowded and a lot of things going on so you will need at least 2 days. My DH and I have the annual pass so we only pay once for the entire year, have been 28 times since June!
    3. Everything is included, shows, rides.
    4.Week days are the best tuesday-thursday I find to be les crowded. You should plan to spend the whole day there trust me you wont get bored.
    5. There are veggie burgers around and a pizza place which has veg pasta and pizza options.
    6. Hotels there are many , if you are not planning to be in the room much then i suggest taking a small hotel room, disneyland hotels are expensive, the motels there are not too bad since they have to compete with disneyland resort.
    7. When you purchase tickets I suggest buying the city pass, because you get 3 day park hopper ticket, plus one admission to universal studios hollywood and a ticket to sea world san diego. My Dh had some friends visiting so they purchased the city pass it worked out to be around $450 for their 2 tickets , but the disney ticket alone is 2 days for 200+ so it is a good deal.

My advice is to use the fast pass service whenever available and don't miss fireworks and all the shows that you can make it is a wonderful experience I have not met anyone who did not enjoy it. It is also easier if you know anyone who has been there and knows their way through disneyland, if you do not know where things are you will waste a lot of time finding things. ummm one more thing is try to time your meals before or after the normal eating time to avoid lines in the food places.

Have fun!
    Shobhna

5 people like this.
  3. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much,dear! It suddenly struck me that I have a resident IL expert on Disneyland...why am I driving myself crazy?Will make a note of all your suggestions...will let you know our trip when I get back! God bless..Am sure this will be helpful to anyone who is visiting there first time.Was going to Pm you,then I felt that this belongs in this post,for everyone's ready reference.
    If I have any further doubts,will post here again.

2 people like this.
  4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.
  5. knbg

My favorite places.....

Grand Canyon......The sunrise and sunset in any season is breath taking......seeing the small birds soaring the heights of the Grand Canyon....we feel how small we are in this universe.......

Crater Lake and Lake Tahoe......Enormous.....blue...clean........lined with trees......

Whale watching cruises in Pacific coast......getting up close with Blue whales...the largest living creatures of the planet is awesome.....

Monterey bay and the 17 mile drive in Bay area......ocean in various hues and moods......

Yosemite.........

Yellow stone national park.....

Niagara......

Plus the Science centers, museums, zoos and amusement parks..............

2 people like this.
  6. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Hey knbg, loved your list. If you are in California, I would suggest you also visit Point Lobos in Monterey. It is awesome, we liked it even better than the 17 mile drive. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. FreeSpirit20

Knbg, I'm really fascinated with this since I landed in the bay area. I'm waiting for the right season to make it even memorable, can't wait. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. knbg

Hi FS,
    We live in So-Cal but visit Nor Cal sometimes......shall keep Point Lobos in my list definitely.....:)

A suggestion from you really matters buddy....:yes:

Who can forget the Lake Tahoe pic posted by you.....:bowdown

Also , when we were driving past 'Gilroy' I was thinking you and your post on the Garlic festival......:)

Thank you dear.......:)

1 person likes this.
  9. FreeSpirit20

Ohh I'm feeling so honored that you remember all that Knbg. :bowdown

1 person likes this.
  10. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Here goes my list
    - tulip fields, Skagit valley, WA
    - siesta keys,Florida
    - great sand dunes national park,CO - is amazingly gorgeous has huge sand dunes, in the backdrop of snow covered mountains.
    - white sands , Taos, santa fe- new Mexico .
    - love visiting Manhattan and SFO.

1 person likes this.