1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

where to settle in USA?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by preeti81, Jul 27, 2012.

1. preeti81

preeti81 New IL'ite

We are a family of three, I am a nurse, husband is a physical therapist and have a baby 9 month old. We have been staying in Indianapolis for last five years. Got our EAD, going to be six months in September end , we are looking to use AC21 move to another state to eventually settle down and buy a house. I can only get to work in California, Florida and Texas due to license issues. Can someone recommend the best option of the three states and in the state, a good city to settle in. Looking for mild weather, good schools, desi community and reasonable cost of living. Thanks a lot for suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

2. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Hello,

California has really nice weather, the cost of living is a bit higher than florida and tx, but it is worth it. California has plenty of indians, temples etc. The schools are good for the most part but it varies by city. I have visited tx once it was very dry and hot there. Florida has weather problems from time to time. Southern California has wonderful weather.

Hope this helps,
    Shobhna

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    We never got a chance to choose the place to live in USA. My projects & company decides that. For my 1st onsite project, I went to Chicago. Then to Los Angeles, then to Irvine, CA and finally ended up in NJ/NY. Out of all sides, I liked CA. So, my vote goes to California.

4. preeti81

preeti81 New IL'ite

thanks a lot shobhna for your response. We like CA too but we are not sure if we will be able to afford to settle there-buy house. we are non-IT and pay is not as much as IT. Also, I want to try to work part-time/PRN with the baby being small. Would love to settle in southern CA but our friends suggested to reconsider if its affordable in southern CA to buy house with our jobs. any thoughts on that? thanks again.

5. preeti81

preeti81 New IL'ite

thanks Anitha for your reply. Yes, we never thought of this before, always had to go where job (h1b) took us. First, we were in Arkansas in a small city for three years and last five years, job brought us to indy. But my hubby got EAD this year and now we can switch job and for the first time in last 8 years, we can decide where we want to go but its limited to those three states due to physical therapy license issues for my hubby. We have been renting for the past 8 years and now want to settle down and so , looking to move by Oct- Nov using AC 21. We are pretty close to chicago and like it but cannot work there due to hubby's license issue. CA seems to be a good choice but only point is affordability with my desire to be part-time/PRN with small baby.thanks.

6. nive80

nive80 Bronze IL'ite

Preeti81 ,

Of all the 3 states you have specified SoCal would be my choice too. But having stayed in a single bedroom apartment and paying $1300 rent , i would agree with you and say that yes , it is very expensive. If you want to move to the outer then it would be less expensive , but again schooling would be a probs. My husband's friend had a house in the outer , but then considering he had 2 kids and their schooling, they moved to the city and rented a place.

Texas is too hot as per my friends and Florida is almost tropical in climate and does have lots of weather warnings !!! But when it comes to buying a house both the states are comparitevly cheap.

So good luck !!!!

7. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

I think San Francisco bay area CA is the best place to live on the planet :) (I may be biased here just a tad!).

Having said that, I think FL and TX have the advantage of no state taxes. In CA, the highest rate is 9% plus. If I had your options, I might be tilted towards FL because of the weather, beaches and quality of life. I hear Boca Raton has good schools but I don't know. Someone from FL can throw some light as to which are more desirable places to move to FL.