1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to buy from US before going to India for good

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by IlovemyMom, May 11, 2012.

1. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

We are leaving to india for good this month end. Kindly suggest some items like household, stationary or electronic items which we can get in US and would be useful in India excluding laptops, cameras, iPhones.

Eagerly waiting for your ideas/suggestions...

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

These days you get most everything in India. You can relax and travel light.

3. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Atleast I would like to buy something in remembrace of our stay here...also that would be useful

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Then instead of stationery and such, get some unique gift that will be a memorablia of your stay in US. Hmmm....need to think abt it and post.

5. Anikha

Anikha Silver IL'ite

I would say non stick cooking set 12 pc. minimum from Costco or Macys or J.C. Penny . This is the only set of high quality I didn't see in India. Every thing else you will find in big malls at all metros in India.

Corning ware dinner plates , cereal bowls , you must have had them, pack them , they are there in India , but very expensive ....

Stationary : I took rubber bands , they are useful in Kitchen to tie flour packets if we don't have a empty container ready...

Zipper bags are not also that good quality in India. take three to four sizes boxes , so they will be useful for storing purpose...

If you are used to Dental floss in U.S. , buy few of them, you will find only tongue cleaners in India....

Good Luck on your R2I...

1 person likes this.
  6. deepakarthi

deepakarthi Bronze IL'ite

hi anikha,
    questtion,how u guys pack corningware safe in bags,can u tell me, i like to tak some i have..can u tell me how to pck them safely?

deepa

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just did packing for shipping them... use bubble wraps for each items and place them in small containers/shoe box filled with foam peanuts.

2 people like this.
  8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are so many things which you can take from here, but I am not sure what you are prioritize to take in small baggage :)

9. deepakarthi

deepakarthi Bronze IL'ite

hi puni88,
    thanks for ur reply,but,i have plan to take them in my big suitcase,inthat case i don't know ,how to pack them safely.
    deepa.

10. Anikha

Anikha Silver IL'ite

I wrapped dinner plates with my sarees in my suitcase. Secured them all four sides with jeans and petticoats.

I also took some of our comforters using here as my kids wanted ( they were literally crying) , so , I got some boxes from Fed Ex , wrapped Corning ware serving dishes & lids with comforters. Of course , I had to pay extra luggage to airlines.

sindmani likes this.