1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is it so hard to make indian friends here?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by OCdesigirl, Apr 25, 2012.

1. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I have noticed in threads in various places in the US, they all have messages like this :

Any (Tamil,Telugu,Gujju,Punjabi,Marathi, etc etc) people in Los Angeles?

Why are people only interested in making friends from their own communities? If they want friends from their own communities then why did they leave India? I understand that they feel comfortable speaking their own languages, but I fail to understand why someone's friends have to be 100% from their place or they don't bother to talk to them. It is very frustrating i see thread after thread here seeking friendship but they really only want friends from their own communities. Friends are Friends people...Please reply with your thoughts.

20 people like this.

2. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

OCDesiGirl,

Erm..the way I see is not everyone is comfortable in making friends outside their own community.

It is just stepping out of their comfort zone which to some is daunting or the inability to relate to while nurturing friendship. Perhaps you must seek more outgoing people who have cosmopolitan outlook in life (depends on what kind of people you've come across) . Also there might be few things ( ermm...thinking ..thinking) that these people cannot discuss openly and converse engagingly with inter-comminities.

Or they enjoy more regional discussions or want to enquire something very specific to their state hence seeking people with similar background..

To be frank..I'm clueless :confused2:

5 people like this.
  3. Lilac123

Lilac123 New IL'ite

I agree....Friends are friends! Even i fail to understand the importance of finding a person with whom you can talk to within the same community! Maybe its the comfort factor....easy environment.....?

1 person likes this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Glad when we were young at school, we did not have any difference of any caste or creed, we could mingle with kids of the same age, irrespective of the language or community they come from.

Good if people continue to follow and have a good approach in society even if they are working/married and settled.

4 people like this.
  5. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I agree with the posts, I am an american born punjabi married to a south indian I find it extremely hard to make friends! I think i'm an outcast :( I miss those days when I was younger and had tons of friends.

1 person likes this.
  6. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

For a change, why don' t u start a thread titled,' Indians : Yes,looking only for indian friends , any other brand goes unacceptably trashed viz, marathi, punjabi, gujju, telugu, tamil, ...... ' .Should definitely do that .
    Thanks for giving me a chance to rattle.

4 people like this.
  7. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi OCD

I too have the same question.
    I have been to various places in US and meet(apartment)some Indian family who speak other language i feel comfortable to talk(that too in a new place we can get lot of info thro them)with them but the 1st question from them will be what's your mother tongue?the next is do you know Hindi?
    If i answer opposite to these the next time they won't consider me.......

I used to think this situation is only for me not for others.

3 people like this.
  8. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I have tried threads such as that (LOOKING FOR FRIENDS IN ORANGE COUNTY) No replies but then a day later I will see "Looking for __________ friends in Orange County" I don't know what the issue is, maybe its just SO-CaL desi people. I do know one thing though life is better when people have friends, we can't just talk to our husbands 24/7

9. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

ok, then let's have this place to say ' hi, how're u ' almost everyday, and see how it goes? If it's ok, then OCDesigirl, let's initiate chatting right now. Atleast that gives a little fulfillment. I don't know, i'm of this mentality - saying just 'hi' gives me so much energy.

so, here goes mine: Hi friends, how're u all? I'mm fine and experienced a mild earthquake 2 days back in Irvine, California. It was so rattling and an awesome experience !?????!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Hi, How is everyone? I didn't feel the earthquake even though im 15 minutes from Irvine, I am highly excited for the weekend to be here, weekends are always fun.