1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

expecting amicable reply

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rvlakshmi, Sep 18, 2011.

1. rvlakshmi

rvlakshmi Silver IL'ite

Dear IL's,

With grace of Shirdi sai baba, am going all alone down to USA (Wisconsin) from India first time as a teacher(H1b visa) to work in a university with my 10 year old daughter. I have 1000 of quns in my mind. (am a widow) Without anybody's help have to do all the process. Am expecting an amicable reply from all my ILites. Please guide me what i have to do, Anyword as a reply is very valuable for me. KIndly suggest me what are things have to carry like electronic items,rice and dhals, dresses with jerkins,gloves etc,coz der going to provide me a furnished house.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Don't be worried. Whatever institution where you are teaching will have someone(s) to help you get settled. Don't bring food, only unusual spices.....cumin, coriander, chili powders all cheap here. If they are supplying a house, it often comes with cooking utensils so just bring a pressure cooker with extra gaskets and plugs. You are not going to be prepared for Wiscosin winters so just plan to buy stuff when you arrive. Bring stuff like underwear, native dress for parties. The other ladies will help you on this more than I will.

3. rvlakshmi

rvlakshmi Silver IL'ite

Dear Tina,

Thank you so much for your reply which gives confidence to me,
    Dear, Can I stay with a kid over there without any probs.Got too much of fear.

rv

4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

wisconsin is a cold place.So take good quality winter wear for yurself and your daughter.Which place are you going to stay?I stayed in madison and there public transport is very less.so i got a car for my transportation needs.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The problems that you are going to have are going to be the normal ones that you would have in India like setting up childcare, shopping, etc. We have a lot of single parents here so there is a lot of support that is available. Are you emailing about any of these concerns to Academic Affairs liaison where you will be working? I know where I used to be they were very good at setting up stuff as they had a lot of practice with visiting academics. Some places even have the childcare facility on/near the campus...well you will just have to see the particulars about your campus. Do email them.

When I am in India I find it refreshing to not be eating and doing what I do here in the USA. I am glad to not see any westerners, I am happy to eat differently, I think it is good for the soul to not be stuck in paradigms. The only thing though that I have had come up is missing good toast for breakfast and that only came up after some months. I know you will miss some stuff also but is that really all that important? If you were stranded on a desert island without Indian food you would find a way to eat. In other areas you will find differences but nothing insurmountable. Just know you will deal with stuff, you are not stuck and go forward. And enjoy your stay here in USA!

sindmani likes this.