1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

moving to california...stuff to carry?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by swatichopra, Sep 17, 2011.

1. swatichopra

swatichopra New IL'ite

Hi,

We will be moving to (San Jose or Sunnyvale)California soon. Could you please let me know what things to carry regarding:
    -clothes
    -blankets
    -bedsheets
    -shoes
    -utensils
    -small electronics items like iron, hair dryers, toasters etc. I heard they wont work due to difference in voltage. Is there any converter which can be used to make these usable in US?
    -winter wear
    -toiletries
    -spices
    -dals, pulses etc
    -other beauty items like wax, bleach etc

Also I will be applying for EAD once I land since am traveling on L2. Could you please tell me if someone has applied for it? how much time will it take to be approved? Can I work before receiving it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Swati

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to San Jose. How long are you going to live here? Don't bring any electronic items. How much cna you carry form India like dals,sheets etc.

we have so many Indian stores here. You can get everything. You cna bring any special curry powders ( home made)
    I live here for long time and don't know much about Indian beauty products. You can bring Idli stand, pressure cooker/pressure pan and serving spoons etc. Bring some nice saris and salwars. There are so Indian live here and they celebrate Diwali, Navarathri etc.

You may get some more information form others.
    Have a safe trip.
    CL

3. swatichopra

swatichopra New IL'ite

Hi Coffeelover,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

We are shifting to San Jose for a couple of years. How about blankets and warm clothes?

Thanks
    Swati