1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

terrified of driving - any advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, May 15, 2011.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I am thinking of applying for my learner permit and then I want to try driving. But, I'm so scared thinking of driving especially on interstate routes and highways. Vehicles move so fast and the thought of changing lanes(for an exit or passing) is terrifying to me:hide:.

Anyone who overcame such fears? Currently, I live in a city with ample and frequent public transportation , so no issues upto now .But, we are thinking of moving to suburbs and also I want to share the driving distance when we go on trips instead of making my husband drive through the trip completely.

Any tips for me? is there a difference when driving on local town routes(I asume this is easier) and on highways? I am freaking out but without a DL,life would only get harder isn't it.

2. adismom

adismom Bronze IL'ite

Hi Neha

It is very difficult to stay without knowing how to drive in the US .Life becomes kind of restricted without it.I can relate to your fears of driving as I was terrified of driving myself just like you.
    I even managed to avoid doing it for a couple of years and my husband was patient enough to drive me around everywhere.Even after getting my permit, I hardly used to drive.But then a situataion came where my husband couldnt drive for a month due to some medical issues which forced me to drive him around everywhere.Though it was very scary at first, it just made me more careful and cautious while driving.Every week I got better and more relaxed too and now I am not scared anymore.

But before starting to drive in interstate roads I sugggest you get very comfortable driving on inroads.There is no other practical solution to get rid of those fears....you just have to get down and do it!

All the best!

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Get the permit, Neha.

It is better to start learning. I use dot be terrified driving in the beginning, but after few months, things changed. I am glad that I can drive now.

In the beginning, I used to drive near by places and park the car faraway in the parking lot. No radio or talking to the kids. ( no cell phone those days). slowly I got used it. You will too.

So, apply for the permit. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Neha:
    I have a LOT of driving experience and I think you should take this in stages to get used to it. I know it took me some time in India to even get used to traffic so I know what you must be feeling.

1. I would suggest getting a driving game program (PC or other game device) and get used to things coming at you from different directions.

2. Get your state's driving manual and study it. In particular study right of way so that you understand who should go first in various situations (turns, multilanes, etc) so you have some idea of what other drivers should be doing (although they may not).

3. Take your learners permit test. Its not that hard if you have studied the book. They are straightforward and don't try to trick you.

4. Practice in some vacant parking lots or on slow residential streets. As you get confidence, more complicated situations will come naturally.

I am sure you will do fine.

1 person likes this.
  5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

adismom,
    I think I should take the plunge too and I will target in-roads first. I guess driving on those roads is a little easier because vehicle speeds are not as much as on interstates.

coffeelover,
    I know that it is better to start learning. I'm so scared of driving ,I don't know why. I"ll also have to practice by driving to nearby places first and am scared of driving on bridges too and my city has many bridges :(

Tina,
    I never drive in India too , so you can imagine :p
    I"ll try your idea of a driving game. Will see if I can download one on my cell phone.
    I have my state's manual(I am in NY too BTW). I studied it for a couple of days and then got bored . Need to get back at it. I"ll try to give the permit test soon, so that I can atleast use the roads and start practicing.
    Thanks Ladies. I have a little confidence now.

Any more ideas ,welcome :)

6. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

What a coincidence.I am in the same boat as you.I did get my license here though.I passed the written and the driving test.But I just don't feel confident enough to take the car alone.

I learnt from a driving instructor and somehow I knew that if I made a mistake, the instructor had the brakes and would know.I just feel terrified of taking it alone.

Planning to take a couple of classes and then drive with my husband.I really really want to achieve this by the end of June

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Pranam,
    Really, I know how you feel:)
    I dont even have my learner permit as yet. I'm yet to study for the written test. Actually, more than anything, I'm scared of bridges and tunnels and you know that we have a lot of these bridges/tunnels in the NYC/NJ area:hide:

Well,I was thinking of taking the test tommorow or on tuesday but I've not even read one chapter thoroughly. How long did it take you to get ready for the written test?

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I've taken so many driving tests in so many states.....here are some areas to study based on my experience. Remember, they may ask other stuff but this might help in your studying.

Right of way
    shapes/colors of signage
    alcohol levels
    points on license
    passing
    lines on road
    car lengths
    speed limits

1 person likes this.
  9. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks. Actually, my NYS DL topics cover the same things. No escape:hide:. I have started to read it though.

10. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi neha,

Even i was terrified of driving until it was not a necessity for me. Later when i complained of being at home all the time and when i had to transport kids to school, it became a necessity for me to learn driving.

Apart from reading the manual, i want to give you one tip which helped me in keeping my mind cool. Keep yourself stress-free while driving. Keep aside any issues at home/work and deal with it later. Try to learn driving with music on (volume less). Also, teach your foot to get used to the BA i.e. Break and Accelator (from left). No matter what, do not take out your foot away from BA. This will help you.
    Good luck with your driving.