1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Boiling Green Tea

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by navs23, Feb 4, 2011.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

How do you drink your green tea? After hearing so many good things about green tea, I am drinking a cup a day, but have a nagging doubt about the right way to prepare it. Does boiling affect the quality(due to heat) or is it best to just insert a bag into hot water and let it sit and drink after some time? I just want to make sure the good antioxidants are not lost in the heating process. Please feel free to move this thread to where appropriate if this is not the right place. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

2. priyadarsinit

priyadarsinit New IL'ite

Hi Navs,

I have started drinking green tea since 5 days . I searched over internet on how to make green tea and found one procedure.Just brew 1 tea spoon green tea in 8 onces of water for not more than 3 mins else it will become too bitter and if you need taste add a spoon of honey to it.

For good results take 3-4 cups daily.I am taking only once because I did not like the taste.

Since how long you are taking green tea?Have you found any difference in your weight?

Thanks,
    Priya

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Priya :)

I have been taking it since long but not regularly. But recently started taking it daily and I do feel light, but too early to say if it has any effect on weight though. I do not add honey or sugar despite the bitter taste as that would defeat the purpose of weight loss(if that is the purpose). Will post again in a month or so if there is any change in weight :thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Green tea should never be boiled. It also should not be steeped in boiling water (100C) but instead steeped to taste in water that is 80C. So if you have a kettle of water, let it sit for a little while before pouring on your tea leaves/bag. Green tea will not be bitter this way. The Chinese folks I know drink it weak and often all day.

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Great tip, thanks Tashidelek :) I always thought green tea by itself tasted bitter, never guessed boiling it too long made it bitter :bonk