1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on average while visiting India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by blah, Jan 4, 2011.

1. blah

blah New IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm curious to know how much($) us NRI's spend while visiting India on vacation.
    Lets say not including the flight tickets because they are different depending on when you go!

I'm in India now and feel I over spent on clothing and other miscellaneous things...Like things I like to bring back home etc.

For the two months I stayed in India I spent about $2500-$3000 not including the flight tickets!

Just want to see if this is normal if not I better start budgeting!!

Love
    Just curious!

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

What is normal for one person need not be normal for another.
    It all depends on each person's financial situation. The key is to make sure you spend within the context of your financial abilities.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Blah, usually I set a limit of how much I can spend in India and try to stick with it. In over 10 years of living abroad, there were times I spent $1000 in a trip and there were times I spent $5000 also depending on the situation.
    So, I guess giving a blanket answer is not going to be possible.

4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Blah, it depends! the first time we went, requirements were more, like certain utensils, dresses, spices etc which are not available here. Subsequent trips, there was no need for such things and I just got some spices etc. So, it really depends. But if you really do not want to over spend(again, this is a relative term and varies person to person), do not buy things which you might get here, which are more or less of the same cost as in India, not buying those things would at least save some baggage space :) Last year's trip, we were too shocked to see the sky rocketing prices in India to even buy anything from there(yes, some items were more expensive than it was here) :hide:

5. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

Honestly if your dh makes 100k then spend 2000$shopping only) if he makes 200k spend anything above 2000$....

6. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Blah...Not Blah Blah...Blah…:)

Comm..on girl…you are in India on vacation…Enjoy…Don’t worry about money…

Having said that…we go home every other year…We move a small percentage of our salary every month to the ‘India Vacation account’ we maintain here. So it accumulates & we don’t feel the pinch at the end. Also we get some rent from a property back home. The combination of the two is kind of the budget for the trip.

We try not to worry about money when we are in India. If we think about it now, we lose five to ten times by not working during the vacation than on the actual spending spree.

So don’t hold back…just have fun…after all it is your vacation.

What my DH spends to buy stuff (bling…bling) for me and our DD during our vacation is his problem (and not officially part of the budget:)).

7. blah

blah New IL'ite

Hmm Interesting...
    I really like the idea to have a separate fund for India vacation! This will def help!!
    Thanks everyone for posting!

Love,
    Blah