1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Traditional kadhai in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sahmaara, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

I recently bought a stainless steel cookware set. I am kind of banishing non-stick due to its hazards in cooking (I do not mind the extra cleaning with steel).
    But, we do not get the traditional kadhai (karhai) that we get in india to cook curries. Please let me know where can I find that in US?
    My options are:
    - Steel kadhai with copper bottom
    - Aluminium kadhai
    - Iron kadhai

Thanks!!

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi sahmaara

Check this - Amazon.com: Mr. Bar-B-Q Cast-Iron Wok: Home & Garden

One of my friends has this and she finds it pretty good. But personally, I don't know if it's worth the price, especially when we find it for a lot cheaper back in India. I stopped using anything non-stick as well. But then I bought all my kadhais from India.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

4. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

just go to apnabazar or some indian shop buy from there the best...stainless steel or aluminum...

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Nice, but a bit on the expensive side. If there are really good reviews, I wont mind saving up some dough to buy it sometime.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Like everything else....you wait for a sale. The Caphalon I got on sale and when it dies its replacement I will get on sale. Probably by then the Green Pans will be 14.99.

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

8. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

I agree that the ones we get here are way too expensive...no plans of going to India, so will have to find someone who can bring for me :)
    i can check out indian grocery stores as well or look at the other options that everyone else has given..thanks everyone!

9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Sahmaara,
    Sorry,a little off topic, but why do you think non-stick cookware has hazards. I have been using nonstick teflon pans for a while now, so just curious if there are any potential hazards and I need to replace them.
    Aluminium pans work well, but cleaning is a big task, especially when you use little oil(I use less for health reasons). I got a good deal in sams club(3 pans for $20) and they have been pretty good so far.
    When you buy an iron pan, make sure it is of good quality, I have experienced everything from rust to peeling off iron inspite of using non metal spatula and making sure there was no moisture when not in use.
    Also, will the curved base kadai from India, sit well on the electric stove top which is flat? just wondering...
    Thanks!

[QUOTE
    Sahmaara;1585804]I recently bought a stainless steel cookware set. I am kind of banishing non-stick due to its hazards in cooking (I do not mind the extra cleaning with steel).
    But, we do not get the traditional kadhai (karhai) that we get in india to cook curries. Please let me know where can I find that in US?
    My options are:
    - Steel kadhai with copper bottom
    - Aluminium kadhai
    - Iron kadhai

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

dont know your location !,but if you are in chicago,do try at devon ave,there are countless number of shops where you get indian untensils.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011