1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Staying active in winter

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rums, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Winter is here and I am already demotivated to exercise. I am sure there are lot of IL's who keep themselves active throughout winter. Any suggestions?...

2. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Its true winters r very de motivating to wake up early and do exercise in the cold weather.In winters i love going out jogging and brisk walk before the sun sets.In jammu the sun sets by 5:30pm so i go for jog by 4:30pm and do 15-20 times of suryanamaskara.This keeps the body warm.
    On weekends we go window shopping parking our vehicle a quite far from the shopping area,Go trekking or go to a picnic spot and spend the day reading,watching people while soaking up the warmth of the sun.etc.
    All these makes me love winters.:)
    sudha

3. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Ya i like to getup late in this winter making me lazy.:crazy So doing exercise in this winter morning is really needed.My mom is waking at 2:30 daily as in India we have margali madha pooja.I wonder :bowdown

4. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

I know..How come people get up so early in cold months..hats off to those who do...I need some sun to get some energy :))

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

What I did was to get a recumbent bike and a Pilates reformer for my house. If I had it to do over again, I would get a better reformer that had a rebounder. On that you can do strength, stretch and aerobics all at once. You can just do in morning in your jammies and then go have shower and out the door.

6. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Ahh, winter blues! Here are some tips that I use (I walk/run outside every day, regardless of the snow!)

1. Layer up. Bundle up. Instead of one bulky sweater, use several layers of clothing. Use a warm hat because your scalp can lose a lot of body heat when you go out to walk.
    2. Go outside when it is warmest in the day, before the sun sets.
    3. If the wind chill outside is just too much, just use an at home video (I like the walk at home videos.)
    4. Try keeping the windows open just a little bit during night, exposing yourself to the cooler air will help you tolerate the cold better (its a weird tip that works)
    5. Make the walking rounds anywhere - at home, at work, at the mall, at the grocery store. Aim for about 20 minutes of quick walking every morning, and then a quick 20 minute walk in the afternoon. Or you can aim to just walk for 30 minutes after every meal! It works.
    6. You can use some hand weights to up your calories to up your calorie burn.

7. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Tashidelek, just curious, which kind of reformer have you been using? Would you have any recommendations? I'd appreciate any tips.
    Thanks!

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Dhaanika:
    I have the cheapest one on earth....iFitness I think...paid about $100. If you go for a professional grade one, you are looking at paying $2000 but I think that is over kill for most folks. The one I am lusting after is an Aero with a wider bed and a rebouder...they run around $400 but thats not in the budget right now. They sell them on QVC (HSN?). I would also get the rack for it as I don't do crawling around on the floor well. The ones with a rack can be used by anyone even of advanced age. My Achilles tendon was severed four years ago (and repaired) and that is why I go this route as it is great rehab also (was developed for rehab of injured dancers).

9. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

The Aero does look good, I've tried some Pilates DVDs, but done it without a reformer and I love the idea of using one at home. Thanks for your tips Tashidelek!

I need to go do some research on them now :).

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Hiya Dhaani!
    If you are in Austin, sure you can run every day! :) Since it is nice weather! :crazy
    j/k, Good job in keeping up with it everyday :thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010