1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

where to give old clothes in USA?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SurekhaKrishna, Nov 29, 2010.

1. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

hi Ladies,
    I have a question on where and how to give away old clothes(Indian outfits like sarees,chudidhars)
    Is there any place to give my new but unused (since 1-2 years)clothes.First of all I do not like to wear them
    and second I cannot keep them lying in my closet.
    Please help me and share your ideas,suggestions.
    thanks

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I live in San Jose. I visited a store called Discovery Store in Los Altos, CA. I heard that they have branches everywhere. I gave the Indian clothes to them. I used to send it to India by sea mail. No problems at all.

Yesterday I found out that there si place in Fremont, CA where they take them. I will find out for you by this evening. May be you can send it to them by mail. It my cost you some money, but you my be making people happy.

Good day. It is nic eot hear you love to donate stuff. God Ble:thumbsupss you.

3. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Coffeelover,
    Great...I would appreciate that info as well. I was giving away mine to Salvation Army. But Fremont is not that far for me to drop off.

Thanks and have a blessed day!
    Oopall

4. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I heard from sources who worked for salvation army that they destroy Indian clothes. I will find out about the place in Fremont, CA.

6. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Dear Coffeelover,
    thanks for the response.I will wait for that some more information.

thanks again!!!!:)

7. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Everytime I visit India, I am taking the gently used sarees/salwars and giving them in orphan centers there.

sujatha.

8. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Sorry i cannot be much helpful. just a suggestion. you might be visiting some indian temples or jain temples/gurudwara - so do get in touch with them and surely they will be able to help you especially the jains. this community do serve people across the globe. they convert sarees into quilts and give to needy people. hope this might help you

9. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I use to donate it to Lupus foundation. I generally giveaway all old clothes and kid's toys to that foundation.

I schedule a pickup date&time in online, they sent me their carrybag everymonth, i pack in that and keep infront of our apartment, they pick it and leave a receipt in our mailbox.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You might also try taking them to a used clothing consignment shop where they will sell for you for a percentage of the price. Americans buy lots of stuff this way and they might enjoy ethnic clothing. If the stuff doesn't sell, many shops then do the donation for you to some charity place.