1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing jewellery from India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by hemalathaK, Nov 6, 2010.

1. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hello friends,

I am planning to bring some of my jewellery through my friend.Since those were bought during my wedding I don't have the bills.Is it possible to bring them .My friend says that while bringing they don't ask for the bills and only while going they ask for the bills .Is it true?
    I hope some of you might have the experience in it.Please share your experiences and thoughts.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hello,

You never know. Few years back, my friend brought her jewels and stopped by customs. It depends upon your luck. My friend showed him some recipts and explained that she remade the old jewels. They let her go. Sometimes, they don't do anything at all.

Good luck.:thumbsup

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Last month I purchased one necklace in India, while landing here in us
    nobody asked anything. May be it is based on luck or I don`t know.
    Next time I should keep the receipts handy with the jewel itself.

4. hemalathaK

Thanks coffee lover and vijayalakshmi, now I am planning to drop this idea.Even if they don't create any problems now, I think they will definitely ask for the recipts while going to India it seems.humm.. what to do?

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

First of all I won't advise to put this responsability on soem friend.Whenever you go next time bring them or some one visiting from your family you can get them.Go and read the customes.According to me there was some limit,check the customes rules.As long as they wear it won't be any objection and you can carry over upto some amount but check the rules first.

6. hemalathaK

Thanks priya, for the information.I will check it out and make it clear.

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I never had any issues when I travel back & forth from India to US.
    I tend to carry most of my jewels during my trips to India.
    I wear few of them and carry few of them.
    Customs won't mind until it is reasonable enough to prove that these jewels are for your personal use.

Good luck.

8. hemalathaK

Thanks puni,

I am not going to bring too much it's just around 200 gms this time.If the jewellery is there ,I have to face some situations and so I decided to bring some here this time.My head is really spinning .Don't know what to do?:spin

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,I have been travelling to India and coming back. Everytime , I do bring some jewels with me. Never was I asked for receipts. I just wear the jewels or keep it in hand baggage.They have scanned each time and never asked me for explanation. There is no need to get scared. You can always say its your jewels.If you are not nervous while answering they dont bother. This time when I went to India, while returning the officer asked me what is in my baggage. I said its some sweets and clothes.i.e in my baggage.Be confident and answer thats the key.Good Luck.

10. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Hi Hemalatha,

It will not be a problem while coming to USA,if these are what normal people wear and of reasonable weight.Mostly they care about uncooked farm stuff.

While going back to India especially South India,unfortunately it depends upon the financial goals of the airport at the time of landing.If we wear in decent quantities (?:))& carry the rest in hand baggage,you should be okay.If they ask whether you have gold or electronics,you can always say confidently..."I am coming from US & don't have any"...