1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

need less time consuming breakfast ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cinderella06, Oct 14, 2010.

1. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

HI friends
    i'm looking for some vegetarian breakfst recipes..which are less time consuming and healthy..
    preferably indian style sandwich,burger..salads..also other items which you usually prepare for breakfast..:help

2. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

If you grind and store idly flour and dosa flour in small boxes exactly enough for one time then you can prepare idlies within 10 minutes and a chutny for that.It will take max 2 to 3 minutes to prepare.Only the steaming for idlies will take 10 minutes.Three days in a week you can prepare idly and the other days you can try for some other thing.

3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

If you like pancakes, you may try the pancake mixes available in stores. Just mix in water to make batter and spread on a hot tawa. Pancakes ready in less than a minute. Goes well with omelette and a sweet syrup.

4. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

You can make pongal. Just soak the rice and dal a little if you want it to cook even faster. Pongal can be eaten even with just pickle if you don't have time to make chutney.

5. abhiadi

abhiadi New IL'ite

u can make aloo tikki burger, for that just boil potatoes, add seasonings and grill on tawa. put butter and sauce (or chutney) on toasted burger and put the tikki along with tomato& cucumber slice.

--also make diff types of dal chilas
    --roast upma and keep. u can quickly prepare rava upma.
    --rava dhokla
    --egg puffs

6. cinderella06

Hi friends thanks for your valuable ideas :thumbsup....usually i prepare idly,dosa,pongal,upma for dinner or weekend breakfast..

my DH sometimes dont like these for weekday breakfast.. as he has to start early..so i'm looking for some sandwich,burger,salad..which i can prepare morning..or prepare the stuffing and store it for next day..

also give me some tips to buy redymade salad packs,dressing,vineger..without ranch,cheese..

i'm going to try your ideas weekdays if my DH say YES!! :cheers

7. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cinderella,

Here are few ideas, hope these helps.

1. Cut thin onion and tomato round rings - you can cut these rings at night and keep in the box. Now in morning, arrange the onion and tomoto between 2 breads, add some cheese (you can use very little amount, usually 1/4 cheese slice is more than enough. Try to break the pieces small and spread over the bread. If you want you can avoid cheese), sprinkle salt and black pepper. Now in a pan, heat little oil/butter/ghee and grill the sandwich from both the size. Press the breads while grilling so that due to stem they close shut. (You can do this in a toaster as well).

2. Check out the potato soya burger. You need to prepare the mixture before hand and keep. Best way to cook the potatoes is to microwave it for 5 minutes. The mixture stays good in the fridge for 3 days.

The Mighty Great Soya Burger - IndusLadies

3. You can also try paneer sandwich. You can add sauce to the paneer mixture.

Paneer Sandwich - IndusLadies

4. You can make Poha in 7 minutes flat. If you are short of time in morning, all you have to do is microwave and keep the basic mixture of (potato, onions) ready. Keep it in the fridge. in morning just wash the poha, add to the bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.

Microwave Poha - IndusLadies

5) You can bet mayonnaise (its available in vegetarian as well). Grate carrot, cabbage and cucumber. Add in the mayonnaise, salt and black pepper. You can either serve it as a grilled sandwich or just between plain soft white bread.

6) A super quick and tasty sandwich is potato sandwich. Microwave potato for 5 minutes. Mash the potato and add salt, amchoor, red pepper, green chilies and green coriander. Now stuff between two breads and grill. If you are grilling on a pan, press the breads slightly so that they close shut. Serve with sauce or green chutney.

7) Here is a quick salad recipe

Navratri Special - Salad - IndusLadies

8) You can also make burgur upma. It is super quick.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-foods/98668-what-healthy-meal-did-i-14.html#post1369053

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  8. cinderella06

Thanks a lot shiva..i'm sure DH will like those recipes..going to try them..

thanks hema,writeme,aparnanc,abhiadi,.. your recipes are really helpful......
    :thankyou2:

9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

sprouted moong, beans along with veggies is a good option too.

soak mung beans / chana / kala chana overnight. sprout them and freeze them in individual serving sizes (I use the sandwich size ziploc which is good for 2 people). I try to make 8-10 bags at a time and store in the freezer.

when needed, take out a pack. saute some chopped onion, curry patta, garlic, green chillies and hing in a cooker. add any other veggies you may have (eg chopped carrots, beetroots, potatoes etc) - all can be chopped the night before.

add the sprouts, salt to taste and some tomatoes. mung sprouts should be cooked for just 1 whistle, chana for 2 whistles. you will need to add very little water since the frozens sprouts will have some ice on them.

open and serve along with some bhujia/namkeen or pomengranate seeds/chopped coriander on top.

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

We never have Indian breakfast, whether it is weekdays or weekends. Never. Maybe once in a rare bluemoon.

Otherwise, cereal, bread or oats. Plus some fruit (Banana or Apple or whatever you like).
    5 minutes and breakfast is ready. Fast, tasty, healthy. End of matter :thumbsup

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010