What about our parents?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by madhupkk, Feb 2, 2009.

1. madhupkk

madhupkk New IL'ite

Hi,

I have a question in my mind for so long which I would like to ask u all .
    What happens to the parents of a girl after her marriage?
    A boy's parents are looked after by their DIL's and sons,right?
    What about a girl's parents,then? Who would look after them?
    What if they don't have any sons?

madhu.:hide:

malspie likes this.

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai

My colleague's FIL has 2 daughters only. Both the SIL's are sharing the family expenses of their FIL. They are frequently vising him too.

But the FIL feels embarrassed.

Now, the daughters are also helping their parents with the husband's support. But it is in negligible margin only.

Andal

3. anvimom

anvimom Senior IL'ite

I guess the days of dependency on son's is slowing coming down. Mostly in the cities , we see that the trend is changing and parents feel that daughters equally can take thier responsibilily and pefrom better than a son.

Now a days parents are very independant . The retirement life is when they really get quality time to spend with each other. They join then daughters and son's when they really feel that there is a need and they have to be taken care off.

4. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My parents have two daughters only..me and my younger sister.. both of us married... My parents are working now also.. i sometimes feel very bad because their health is not so good.

But whenever i tell them to come back to our native and settle down, they are reluctant to do it. They want to be independent.. Also after marrying us both, they are feeling very lonely. so just being at home does not appeal to them.

My mother tells me that even if they had a son, they would have done the same thing...being independent..

We two daughters are very much ready to take care of them.. Our husbands are also willing... but my parents are not willing to take any help as of now..

5. madhupkk

madhupkk New IL'ite

Hai Andal,
    I reckon it would take a lot of time for the parents to accept also. Like your colleague's FIL getting embarrassed. How much ever help the daughter's do, their parents do not get as much attention as the IL's.
    How are they supposed to be looked after? That is why no-one used to like giving birth to daughters, I suppose.

madhu.

6. madhupkk

madhupkk New IL'ite

hai:hiya,
    Though what you said that is indeed true, but still many of us are still living in joint families and many others who don't also never get to treat their parents right! In this site itself, there are many posts showing that.
    Though we ladies have to feel our in-laws as parents, our hubbies are not expected to feel the same?Rant

madhu.

7. madhupkk

madhupkk New IL'ite

Hai manju,
    You are very lucky that your DH's are ready to take care of your parents.
    Though they are independent, do they feel free to call you when they are ill? I just wanted to know:)

madhu.

8. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear madhu,
    gone r the days when parents were dependent on their children in their old age.now a days old people have their own interest & hobbies which keep them busy in their golden age.yes,they still feel bored ,lonely but its temporary phase.they r smart & educated enough to realise this & try to get out of this sadness.

regarding to ur question 'do they call u when they r ill?
    No ,they don't but then we also do not tell them everytime we r ill.
    if it is something serious enough they let us know .

now a days sons or daughters usually stay away from parents either due to studies,career or marriage so the parents have got used to having empty nest.
    even if one has sons, he & dil may not be staying with them(like me & dh )
    Its a matter of feeling responsibility as an offspring & gender has nothing to do with it.
    pragati

9. amoha

amoha New IL'ite

Please put yourself and your dh in their place and think how you would want to be treated by your daughters and your SILs.

10. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi madhu,

now a days there if not much of a difference if they have a boy or girl. in some families the boys after getting married do not live with their parents. if the son in law is good they will take care of their wife's parents. if the parents are pensioners then financially atleast they will be comfortable.