Positive Politics

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by sojourner, Nov 30, 2010.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I am a new member here. A lot of the stuff I plan to post probably will be very light. However, I have something quite serious and significant to post as my first thread. [It will all be downhill from here :)]

A longtime online friend of mine has just returned to India (Bangalore) to try her hand at politics, giving up a secure managerial job in the US. (She has an MBA from US and has been working here for several years.) The fact that she has the courage to do this speaks volumes about her. She has been exemplary in all my dealing with her.

I am posting below an email from her (that I received about a month ago). Her original email included contact information. I have deleted that here, since IL does not allow contact information in posts. If the moderators tell me that it is OK to include contact information in a post like this, I will edit the post to add the contact information.

This young lady deserves all the support that she can get, from well-minded people. Frankly, I do not have half the courage that she has.

Dear all,

Just wanted to let you know that I have resigned my current job at USAC and will be moving to India by end of this month. Some of you know that I have been thinking and talking about the idea of trying to engage in politics in India for years -- and finally I have taken a real/concrete first step.

I will be in touch. I have included my contact info below.

More later,
    Regards,
    S D

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Good Luck.

She got the guts to do that. We need young educated people to make decisions for our country.

God Bless her and you. It is nice of you to promote her too.

Vanda Matharam.:drowning

3. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Very good....nice to see such thing from educated people moved to US again moving back to India to do good things really I appreciate her.

She started any political party or joined in any existing one?

Whatever else my prayer for her to sucess in her political career...

God bless u all.....

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

A Google search for "positive indian politics" will find her Website. I wish that I had thought of mentioning this fact in my initial post. The About tag in her site gives some food for thought. I am quoting below from that:

I strongly believe that positive politics and positive leadership can make significant impact in raising the quality and standards of living for crores of citizens. I think it is high time for Indian citizens to begin electing political representatives with a combination of good character and intelligence. I believe that there are several current politicians in various parties who possess reasonable morality and intelligence. Let’s encourage and support them to stay positive as well as encourage moral and educated citizens – like you and me – to dare to enter politics.

Over the last 12 years, I have often thought about getting into politics. “Are you crazy? Why politics?” is a typical response by my friends, relatives and acquaintances when I mention about my interest to enter active politics in India. Most people say that “good and honest people cannot survive in politics.” Another typical response is that “there are other ways to contribute to the society. Why don’t you join a non-profit?.” While I appreciate their genuine concern for my well-being and their effort to protect me from what they see as imminent failure, I remain positive and a strong believer in the positive politics.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> She started any political party or joined in any existing one?

This is one of the most important decisions that she has to make. I am sure that she will take the time to make a good decision on this.

> It is nice of you to promote her too.

I used to be and probably still am rather idealistic too. I have done similar things for other people (such as S.R.Hiremath) before I came to know about her. I also strongly considered doing something along these lines myself (not in politics) but did not go through it. Looking back I am glad that I did not. All these being the case, helping her comes naturally to me. And she is such a pleasure to deal with. She landed in Bangalore last Sunday. I expected her to take a few days adjusting to jet lag, reconnecting with family, etc. Instead, she has hit the ground running. By Monday, she has already met the one main contact she had, chalked up an initial plan of attack, and started gathering information on a few other possibilities. Hats off to her. And this is no accident. She planned things in such a way that there are minimal interruptions from family (parents/spouse).

6. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Tell her don't waste her time.India is not a place for clean politics. even there's a chance of getting killed too. In India realpolitiks is about Money play, decision making, caste , trading of votes or MLAs/MPs , religion, backstabbing etc.

7. dakshayaeni

dakshayaeni Silver IL'ite

It is probably easy to blame the system and get out from the same, rather remain in the system and start changing in small way.

I appreciate the lady and her philosophy. But, in most of our minds we get confused between political vision and a social vision. Politics is a tool a method to do something for the society, economy in a holistic way. Diplomacy, managerial skills including people management, talent and expectation management plays a key role. One cannot make everyone happy all the times, so there will be a lot of unhappiness, deceit and negative politics. But, one who has the capability to deal with them can become a good political character.

Fighting for a social cause is not politics but to win the fight one needs to be politically correct, else many movements will die down.

Political parties all the world over have and will continue to have people having different interest. Person who can keep the interest level within a limit, yet satisfy the team members and still go on to drive a political philosophy say for example setting up nuclear power plant amidst hue and cry of natural disaster will be held high by our future gens, promise.