1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Bag Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by uma_vijayakumar, Dec 3, 2009.

1. uma_vijayakumar

uma_vijayakumar New IL'ite

Somewhat interesting.
    I came to know about this bag gardening recently. I have not implemented it at my home. As this is very interesting, I have posted it for Garden lovers.
    Does any body know about this in detail. Also, I want to know whether such bag gardening can be set up in my terrace. What type of bag to be used.
    If any body know about this, please share.

How to build a Bag Garden
    [FONT=Agenda,Agenda][FONT=Agenda,Agenda]Bag Gardens are great fun to build, and really easy for small hands to help with!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Materials you need before you start:
    [FONT=Agenda,Agenda][FONT=Agenda,Agenda]A Hessian sack
    A large used can or sliced squash bottle of about 12cm or more in diameter, with both ends removed to make a tube - be careful of sharp edges!
    Some small stones or gravel
    Mixture of topsoil and composted material, plus some well-rotted animal manure, if you can get it
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Six steps to building a Bag Garden
    [FONT=Agenda,Agenda][FONT=Agenda,Agenda]Instructions
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Agenda,Agenda][FONT=Agenda,Agenda]Start by finding a good spot for your bag, preferably sheltered with plenty of sun, access to wate

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Agenda,Agenda][FONT=Agenda,Agenda]1. Roll down the edges of your bag and place the tube in the bottom. Fill the tube with stones. Put a mixture of soil, compost and manure around the outside of the tube and press in slightly (but not too hard!).
    2. Now remove the tube. This should leave a circle of stones in the middle of the soil mix. Keep repeating step 1 and 2 until...
    ...your bag is full of soil and you have a full column of stones at the centre. Try and keep the bag upright as you go!
    3. Hammer some stakes into the ground to support the bag.
    4. Using chalk or charcoal, mark out four or five horizontal lines around the bag, equally spaced. Carefully cut some holes in the bag, shaped like a ‘7’ along these lines where you want your plants to go. Don’t place them exactly above each other, but give the plants enough room to grow. The holes should be just big enough to get your hand in.
    5. Now you can plant your seeds or seedlings into these holes and at the top of your bag (great for climbers) making sure that they are held in place by the soil.
    6. Water the garden fairly generously at first and then water from above onto the column of stones regularly, preferably with used washing-up water.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

This seems to be a brand new idea..the picture in the attached pdf is so colourful that it tempts me to try one!!!

3. sapjaya85

sapjaya85 Silver IL'ite

hai,i use to plant hibiscus plants in cement sacks filled with soil as it holds more soil and grows like as it is in land.without moving the sack it gives max 1 year life for the sack.urs bag garden is also a nice idea.it is a brilliant idea for flats people.

4. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Newfangled idea of bag gardening.New trend of branded plantation.
    Thanks for keeping usoccupied.

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi:

I heard of growing plants in bags for the first time while living in the UK. They call them grow bags there. And you could grow vegetables, flowers, etc. in the bags.

I grew tomatoes and cucumbers in grow bags -summer of 2008. Have couple of pictures of them.

Now I have a collection of ornamental plants growing in polythene bags inserted in pot holders. Found that moving plants around is easier when they are in bags. Will take a few snaps of them and upload here. Infact a friend does this with all her plants since she plans to move to a different city altogether. She has grown fruit trees in big 'pedigree dog food' bags and 5 kg. rice bags:).

I'm told Lalbagh nursery (Bangalore) has these black polythene bags that you can use to grow plants in them. Have not checked it myself, so not very sure of how authentic the information is.

However, I have seen another nursery (APD, Jeevanabhimanagar) in Bangalore that uses black plastic bags (similar to the ones that hold cement) complete with handles to grow some of their plants and the plants looked very pretty in the bags. Will try to get photos of those as well.

Sindhu

Attached Files:

6. meerapavya

meerapavya Silver IL'ite

your idea of bag garden is looking good.

i'll try it in my terrace

thanks for the useful tip...

7. uma_vijayakumar

uma_vijayakumar New IL'ite

Dear Sindhu,

Very nice to see your grow bag garden. In coimbatore we are not getting grow bags. So, I have an idea of using black polythene bag that you told for gardening. But, I have a doubt, what about for drainage. Does your grow bag have holes at bottom. And how much is the weight of potting mixture in it.

Regards,
    Uma

8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Uma:

The grow bags shown in pictures had drainage holes at the bottom though that was bought in a store in the UK.

However, what you can do is punch holes into the polythene bags that you plan to use to grow your plants - a few at the bottom and some more at the sides. If you are planning to grow bigger plants - you could go for cement bags:).

I'm sorry I cannot remember the weight of the potting mixture - it is surely over 5 kgs.

Sindhu

9. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    A very new idea for growing plants in the limited area and for people who like gardening, thanks for sharing this idea. I must try it out in my terrace.
    Shanta

10. vishalsimple

vishalsimple New IL'ite