1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Jasmine

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by pappuu, May 19, 2009.

1. sweetierose

sweetierose New IL'ite

Hi SYSSNEC,

I require your advice & would appreciate if you could help me out. Infact, I read that you got your Jasmine from Toptropicals. I too got my Mysore Malli from them 2 months ago, the plant seemed to be growing well when I grew it into a bigger pot after receiving it. I had also mixed raw crushed egg shells into the potting mix, as fertilizer. The plant gave a bud, which unfortunately did not bloom, & dropped down after 1 week. Now, most of the branches are dead with just one left, bearing 2 leaves. The dead branches had holes in them & were probably housing spiders or other insects.
    Could you tell me what to do to save the branch remaining? I am really hoping to have my first Jasmine plant successfully growing.
    It would be great if you could help.

Thanks & Regards,
    sweetierose

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Pappu, I got mine in Walmart 2 years ago and so far its doing well. In summer I leave the pot outside and in winter I bring it inside. See the below thread, post #9. There I posted the picture of my Jasmine plant, about 2 and half years old.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/119000-is-my-tulsi-plant-dying.html

@Sweeti,
    My jasmine plant survived. Here are a few things which you might to give a thought to.

1. Potting mix outside India is already fertile. Mixing egg shell might have been a bad idea.
    2. Since you are saying the leaves fall off, what is the color of the leaves which fall down? Usually the thumb rule is, if the leaves fall down yellow, you are giving too much water and the roots are rotting. If they are brown, it means you are not giving enough water.
    3. Do not fertilize the plant right now. Let it first grow a bit.
    4. See if you get a organic pesticide to spray on the plant since you are suspecting that there could be insects.

Questions for you:
    1. Where is the plant now? Inside the home or outside?
    2. Is it getting enough sunlight?