1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Betel leaf plant

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Umachandrika

Umachandrika New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I am trying to see options for growing the betel vine in my house. I live in Oregon...I am sure this weather will help the plant. Moreover finding betel leaves in the Indian stores here seem to be very difficult. Is there some way of growing it other than bringing in a sapling? I tried the site posted by Ananchitra in this thread. I dont mind buying the plant from the nursery but it seems to be out of stock now. Can somebody help?

Thanks,
    Uma

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi Umachandrika, I ordered the plant a couple of weeks ago and had it delivered last week - now I am busy trying to find a spot and repot. Hopefully, you should get too....

3. svssnec

svssnec Junior IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  4. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hai AC akka,

Thanks for sharing nice betel leaf...kumbakonam vettilai thann ivvalavu perusa irrukkum..!

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

You are my saviour:bowdown:bowdownjust now me and my friend were talking about how to get betel plant...and as usual I started browsing our IL garden section for the information and bingoooo.....I found it...!! Thanks alot for sharing the website...we are planning to order this betel plant...lets see how it turns out to be for us...:cheers

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi SV

thanks for reviving the thread. I ended up ordering today atlast!:)
    Waiting eagerly for the plant to arrive.

7. greeshma

greeshma New IL'ite

where did you order it from and can you please share how much did it cost you?

thanks

8. lsteltzer

lsteltzer New IL'ite

I successfully grew several betel leaf plants from leaves I bought in a Vietnamese grocery store, where it goes under the name La Lot. I cut the stems shorter and dipped some of them in roottone and planted them, the others I put in water. All of them rooted successfully and now they are about a foot tall. I live in Phila, and last week I put a couple of them outside in the warm spring sun... maybe too much direct sun, because the leaves browned around the edges and they got lighter, not darker, green.

9. ddswamy

ddswamy New IL'ite

Great post. I grow betel leaf on my terrace. Bought a tender little vine from a local pushcart vendor and it really flourished.. I was but planning a trellis when I had to leave town for a few days - came back to find all leaves brown and gone :( was heartbroken.

But good news is I trimmed them and cut down as close to pot as possible and its sprouting fresh new leaves now. Sooo excited.

Now, I need to make a sort of frame to place over the pot so that vine can latch on to it...

Added bonus: My mom-in-law says its very auspicious to have a betel leaf plant in the house :)

Will post pics soon.

10. fbanglee

fbanglee New IL'ite

In Surat,Gujurat, there is a green, leafy, sabji called lunne ki bhaji. it looks like small, dark, green leaf with the red stem and tastes like a lemony flavor. In USA it looks like thyme. What is it called in english? and how can i find this plant. please reply.