1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My Tulsi growing attempts....no luck!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by rkgurbani, Nov 11, 2014.

1. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

From a very long time, I have been trying to grow tulsi, but it just refuses to come up. Last month, a few tiny leaves emerged..I was thrilled but very short-lived... only to see the crows had pecked them out. Then again, I noticed some tiny snail like things crawling in the soil.

I have some very nice seeds from a very good and nicely grown tulsi plant, but somewhere something is going wrong.

So far I have been trying to grow Tulsi in an earthen pot with good quality soil.

Then few days back, someone told me to get a sapling and that Tulsi is very difficult to grow from seeds.

Please pour in your suggestions friends.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

My experience has been different.
    i just dropped few seeds in the ground and as lawn is being getting water daily, Tulsi started to grow. Here it gets full sunlight atleast for 7-8 hours.

Few weeks back, I have put another small plant in a pot and water it daily, but it is kept in the shade, hardly gets sunlight. So far, it is holding and growing.
    View attachment 214329

Keep trying and all the best.

2 people like this.
  3. rkgurbani

Thanks Radv...very lovely tulsi. I must try again as you suggest.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if there are those snail like then there must be more moisture and the soil is not good.

if you are going to try again, upturn and empty the pot, wash the pot completely. now dry the soil well, clear it of any eggs or insteads..break the lumps well. and now use it.

i had the same bad luck with my betel leaves rkg in the new place. limited sunlight. i tried twice, they survived and then collapsed. then i went to a nursery, got a new pot, checked their soil and got them to plant it there..touchwood, it is ok.

i believe tulsi does not need too much moisture, but needs sunlight.. i have one that is too big and have two growing from the seeds that dropped in..they are doing fine.

fingers crossed. i am growing plants only for medicinal purpose..dont have more space...

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if there are those snail like then there must be more moisture and the soil is not good.

if you are going to try again, upturn and empty the pot, wash the pot completely. now dry the soil well, clear it of any eggs or insteads..break the lumps well. and now use it.

i had the same bad luck with my betel leaves rkg in the new place. limited sunlight. i tried twice, they survived and then collapsed. then i went to a nursery, got a new pot, checked their soil and got them to plant it there..touchwood, it is ok.

i believe tulsi does not need too much moisture, but needs sunlight.. i have one that is too big and have two growing from the seeds that dropped in..they are doing fine.

fingers crossed. i am growing plants only for medicinal purpose..dont have more space...

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/80525-help-me-grow-tulsi-plant.html#post987272

1 person likes this.
  6. rkgurbani

Thank you so much Shanvy for your tips. Let me try it all over again as you have explained and also will go through the links you have mentioned.

7. malathi0874

malathi0874 Silver IL'ite

Dear friend rkgurbani,
    All u need to grow tulsi plant is, u get a good earthed big pot made up of good clay, clean the pot and dry it for two days , then u fill it with good soil made of some clay and river bed sand and red sand. u can either put tulsi seed r get the tulsi small plants from the nursery. the tulsi plants need sun light for nearly 4 to 6 hrs daily, so that it grow fully, and it will be there for 6 to 8 months. u can chew and eat the tulsi leaves daily, its good for lungs and heart. it purified the blood and nervous system also.

1 person likes this.
  8. rkgurbani

Thank you Malathi.

I am so very energized all over again to restart my Tulsi plant mission!!!