1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

What you are planning for your garden this season?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Srama, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]Ladies,

Can you blame me for my hibernation? What else could I do when surrounded by vast stretches of snow and only snow! But, I am back. Yes I hear the birds sing, the dogs bark in the yards every now and then. Why, I even see the Sun shine more often these days and that explains the flurry of activity outside! I can smell the spring in air! Thanks to that, I am bravely even leaving a small crack of a window open to let that fresh air and all those sounds in from outside.

Just as I respond to the slight change in weather, I see that my plants that I am protecting by moving indoors are also responding. My jasmine which has been lying dormant is slowly showing new leaves much to my delight. The leaves in my omam plants are well they are the size of betel leaves which actually makes me want to bring in a betel plant this time. My Tulsi unfortunately did not like the indoors and decided to go completely dormant. I know come spring and some rain water, I will have many plants come up. My curry leaf babies are responding too with new growth. I can't wait to move my plants out and let them breathe fresh air, soak in rainwater and shine in that full sun.

Talking of all those plants, I do look out and see my pond completely filled with snow making me wonder about the fish and the plants in the pond. Oh well, only spring will give me a clear picture.

I know this is the month when many avid gardeners begin their seeds indoors to be replanted out, mostly the vegetables! I have done that in the past but this year, I am lying low on that but can't wait to see/hear of any plans you ladies have. I know my fellow gardeners in India, you are all ready for the summer months. While we on this hemisphere begin our activities, you guys must be preparing to help your plants in the summer.

I am starting this thread to ask you to share how you are preparing for the spring or summer.

I will begin by sharing some pictures of all those plants that I talked about. [/justify]

3 people like this.

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,

My arali plant has started flowering for the past one month, i am so happy.

But the sugarcane stem which i planted after pongal is not showing any sign of growth....:-(

No other additional plant i think as of now sue to space constraint....i have only 6-7 plants in my space.....last week i got a omum plant from a marriage function, need to plant it...

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha
    Honestly I have no clue once at HM i tried to grow but for some inevitable reasons I couldnt... But this time having my own patch of about 3 by 3 ft (ha ha ha claiming as if i own an acre),, I am at wits end how to go about because having neglected all these years it has become so hard and i have been digging digging and watering and adding cowdung beyond that i have no clue whatelse to do and i am waiting for God above to send me brainflash or some such info on what to do next and indeed looks like He sent one ,a sor of t in the form of your this thread hope i could make rich use of this thread....

Thank you dear..

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you bhucat for your response. I am sure you are smiling at your arali flower :) As for sugarcane, I think you should just wait and watch. From what I have read, you have done the right thing - planting wise. I don't remember how long it has been since you planted but I read that it takes 10-21 days for the new shoots to appear.

Best wishes with that. I hope to see some pictures when it germinates.

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

YOur 3by3 is your acre VJB! It indeed is :) Looks like you have prepared the soil well. Now time to plant perhaps? What were you thinking of growing there? Some vegetables, may be you can start with easier ones. Ask away any questions and I am sure many ILs will be happy to help you!

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Srama, this season, the main goal for is to keep the lawn clean and probably plant a few annuals to bring out some color. With a Toddler at home, i doubt I will have time for anything else!

Eagerly looking forward to the time when your pond thaws to see if there are any new fish in it!

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Looking through the door, I see no signs of thawing Rakhi! I know I know, come april, it will be better. I keep wondering about the fish too. Just before the first snow, I saw them all happy under the sheet of ice and hope to see more soon. I will be sure to share some pics as soon as I can. I can see them more clearly before the plants grow :)

Color in summer is a good idea. I know how just plain green everything looks in my yard too but the money I spend on annuals is something I am not able to justify but that should be no reason not to see color. I am with you on that. Petunias are the only annuals I spend on and one time I even bought a couple of plants from your place...yes yes Canada!

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You wouldnt believe it, the other day I was telling my DD a bedtime story. I coudnt comeup with anything new and so, I started telling the story of two little kids. Those kids were yours! no kidding. I told her about the pond and how they get excited about seeing new fish, I told her about the bird/the eggs in the nest etc.

Thats how I came into gardening section to tell you about it.

I completely agree with the cost involved with annuals. But I notice, my perennials usually dont bloom as much as the annuals do. Also, this time I am doing something differently. We live across a park. That means, I have to deal with the weeds/dandelions etc. Its almost impossible to have my lawn without a weed as the wind keeps blowing the pollen from the park towards my home. Anyway, this year, other than the daffodils and tulips, I am having no more yellow color in my yard! Last year, it looked like the whole yard is filled with weeds, when in reality, I had one too many yellow blooming annuals! lol

2 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh Rakhi! I am short for words. Thank you so much for thinking of us. I really don't know what to say and I am touched.

With warmer temp the past two days there is a good melting of the snow but not on the pond. Just for you and your DD I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Yellow! I hear you. It is my favorite color but with dandelions, no no though I think it looks perfectly beautiful on a far away hill. In your own yard, no way. I know color will be so nice as I think about my yard I do have a lot of purple/lavender, pinks and reds. Go for it girl and look forward to seeing your colorful garden. Love and hugs to your DD!

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saby,

i am not planting much this moment,because we are going into summer and also i am moving for 2 years..so planning what all.

right now i have just planted this crape jasmine?/nadiyavattai the dwarf variety. dd got that as a gift for her presentation on greenhouse effect and finances or somethng. so let me see how it survives. other than that i am taking care of the mysore rose jasmine plant that is shrivelling because of hte squirrels..

1 person likes this.