1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

A new addition in our garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 3, 2013.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

We brought a Kodi Sampangi also known as sugandhapoo from a nursery about a year and half back and it has grown up nicely. But no flowers were coming for a long time. First we used to cajole :)the plant to give flowers and after seeing no result I used to abuse it as an ungrateful plant. :hide:
    My DH and myself were very much disappointed. But to our surprise last week we saw many bunches of buds coming out and today they have fully blossomed.
    I just wanted to share it with our garden lovers. Jasmines are also in full bloom.

There is a rose plant which is also grown up nicely, but not even a single flower coming out. It has seven leaves and I vaguely remember that someone telling that rose plants with seven leaves will not yield flowers. Is it true? If someone can clarify or can give some suggestion to make the barren plant to yield flowers, I will be thankful.

Attached Files:

12 people like this.

2. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Wawoooooooo beautiful flower. Yes rose plant with seven leaves wont bear flower. What you do is cut the branch which has seven leaves.

3. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS mam,

thank you for such a lovely treat of the flowers - I can only imagine the smell. So happy to note that your sampangi is flowering! Perhaps it knew you were feeling bad and hence :)

Coming to your rose plant, I believe roses with 7 leaves are called suckers and are usually a wild variety and might have been grafted with the plant you have bought or because of the damage to the root. I am assuming you have it potted - if it is in the ground, it tends to spread faster (all from what I gathered reading on google). So you might want to observe your other branches and see what you have and then remove this 7 leaved branch - they suggest pulling out, I am assuming breaking rather than cutting it for cutting might give more sucker branches. I think this page here has better information than elsewhere Rose suckers and how to get rid of them

Now, i have seen these kind of bushes in the wild in nature trails where I live and always wondered about their lack of flowers, now thanks to you, I know the reason. It is so nice to be learning like this.

1 person likes this.
  5. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

This same plant used to be in our house in my childhood days. Its fragrance used to be strong enough than a deodrant. and also this flower has nectar in it which invites black ants......My dad used plant lot of plants in our garden lots rose plants, december poo, kanakambaram(it used yield in big bowls of flowers) and also Ambur malli (which is lengthy in shape)it too yielded in big bowls) My dad has a green thumb but now he doesnt do any....sorry for diverting your thread ....... Mam u have cherished my childhood memories..

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

PS
    You have not mentioned how old the plant is, what height it has grown so far, if it is in ground or pot
    Not all seven leaf plants are sucker plants. A sucker originates from the base of the plant or further have pale green leaves with few to no thorns.
    This plant of yours can also be a climber plant.
    So if you tell how many years you had it then it will be possible to make sure of it is sucker or not
    Sad to note that you abused a plant.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Awesome sampangi...more tomorrow. Got to go :)

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Pranatim,
    Thanks for your prompt fb.
    This rose plant has seven leaves in all branches and so I think it is futile to expect flowers from this plant.
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Archana,
    Thanks for your appreciation.
    PS

10. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

this is my favourite plant fom my childhood
    this can be grown in small pot also