1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Guess??

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Shanvy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Love the thinking cap variations here..

and some of you came so close and it is not organic compost as there is no soil in it, nor manure, or earthworms which are needed nor it is manure for the same reason that there is no dung..

this is more like organic fertilizers from your kitchen waste. Earlier i used to dump them along with soil with earthworms, in a bucket, layer and remove liquid fertiliser that raises above and use on the plants.. and when the whole waste converts to soil in a few months, i used to dry it and use it for repotting or potting..and here http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/49122-my-terrace-garden.html#post571530.

but in the new place, we had a few cases of dengue , that I was asked not to have this dump.. so what was the next way without investing much money..a day/two i came up with this solution of my own.

i dry up the kitchen waste..it dries in a day/two even in the so-called winter in chennai. so there is not much insects/worms or mosquitoes in it , as i always mix a few mints into the same..(mint crushed is said to keep mosquitoes away)..

and i run it through in the mixie..and use it as a fertilizer. dig a small hold close to the root, spoon in a 2/3 tblsp of the same depending on the size of the pot..and cover it up again..this has helped me in keeping control on the buzzing insects, and also better absorption.

and believe me the plants are more healthy and have started flowering even when they are small, and also the size of the flowers are big.http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/202944-back-to-gardening.html

in the particular picture..the waste that was included

coriander stalk/roots,radish peels, beetroot peels, onions, orange /lemon peels, all greens waste, vegetable/fruit waste..and the tamarind waste too..along with coffee grinds, tea grinds..

I get around a kgs/2 of this fertilizer in a month. a 1kgs of good organic fertilizer comes at 200 rs i think, here it is just a few minutes of collecting, drying and whizzing in the jar. (i have a old jar exclusively for grinding peels earliers, that i use for this too..)

Attached Files:

23 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

And thanks for all the guessings, and some of you were so close to the right answer. and some did point out the correct answer..it was real fun to have so many of you interested.

this is my small bit of giving back to earth without wasting much... and if you have the opportunity and the place, do not hesitate. few plants change a lot around you including your moods..

if you can , check out dailydump.org, and invest in a dump, which makes it very easy to compost.

I you eat eggs , you can wash the shell and also coarsely grind it and add to the above.

6 people like this.
  3. Bhavani22

Bhavani22 Gold IL'ite

This is an amazing idea of converting waste into nutrition(obviously for plants) :)
    Will spread this to all my people interested in gardening and environment....

1 person likes this.
  4. nimnik

nimnik Silver IL'ite

Thats an amanzing idea Shanviji... Thanks for the informations.. you must be a real genius!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Was curious to know what it was.. So nice... I am looking forward to start terrace gardening and this is very useful.

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Very interesting and awesome way. Thanks for sharing Shanthi! I will check the website too!

1 person likes this.
  7. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy mam, a big Hello to you first. It has been so many days since i talk to you. The natural manure which you had prepared is excellent. I even planning to start this from tomorrow. But the only issue in what you have said is ......"and i run it through in the mixie.."....i am worried only in this part :) IN mixie...though it is not bad thing but after using it for this purpose i will be hesitating to use mixie for 'chutney' :) So let me plan the other way for this.

Also i remember that i read an article in young world this week. All over India, in a national wide competition, a student from North has created this idea of making manure through kitchen waste.

Nice initiative mam, thanks for sharing too!

1 person likes this.
  8. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Oh!!! Great Shanvy Sister,

Thats was an interesting piece of information, Yes my mom used to do some similar kinds and she had everything in her garden and we really had good nutritous home grown vegetables, and similarily flowers of all kinds, you name any mom would have it.

I am simply ashamed that I am not after her in all these, but always appreciate people who are into it, soon will drop in your home to see your lovely garden.

BTW, By baba's grace, your DD has hopped to school with full vigour after recouping I guess, Hope you continue Saisatcharitra parayan too, Do drop in that thread to share your experience or least enjoy the nectar of ours...

Best wishes... Prayers for your DD for preparing well contiunes in the Prayers thread, drop in the PARAYAN PRAYERS thread and motivate others too.

Best wishes, Om sairam

@Srama sister, Shanvy in way has increased Traffic to the Gardening forum... People like us who have never stepped in have now peeped in... Ha Ha Ha

4 people like this.
  9. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Wow, since it was in gardening thread I had a feeling it would something related to plants and all:)
    But great work :thumbsup
    I will keep this in mind when I go back to my home and try this organic fertilizers on my plants.

1 person likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Certainly, thanks to Shanthi! I do hope you will find something interesting here to continue to visit!

1 person likes this.